2010 Trailer brake issue....

dougw

I just took my 2010 3010 cyclone in to the dealer. I'm finding my self pretty much out of brake stopping power. I have full voltage at the trailer / truck connector as well as the brake controller maxed out. I'm finding my self unable to get the trailer to stop decent. While this might not be any thing more than an adjustment issue, for a trailer that is only 7 months old, I'd think It should be able to lock the brakes up using the override control on the controller.

So I guess I'm wondering if any one else has had any brake issues as well?

Does any one know if these are self adjusting brakes on these trailers?

Thanks
Doug

jnbhobe

They are not self adjusting. They should be adjusted after the first time out in my opinion, that way they have seated themselves in the drums. You also should check the wheel seals, they may have leaked on the beake shoes, especially if you have tried to use the easy-lube hubs. Also check your voltage at the magnents. Or you can do as I did and change your unit over to disc brakes. Then you will have more brakes than you can use.

jnbhobe

What disk brakes did you go with?

Thanks for the info as well.

I used Kodiak brakes with a Carlisle controler, 1/4" supply lines back to the split. I have 8K hubs on 7K axels, that means heavier bearings as the spindles are the same ( #42 I think ) on 6K, 7K, and 8K axels, with heavy duty seals.

Wharton

What problems are there with the Easy Lube hubs? We just picked up our trailer and thought we ordered Never Lubes but ended up with Easy Lubes, haven't heard of any problems but if there are i would like to know. Thanks

lwmcguir

What problems are there with the Easy Lube hubs? We just picked up our trailer and thought we ordered Never Lubes but ended up with Easy Lubes, haven't heard of any problems but if there are i would like to know. Thanks

No problems what so ever. They are great hubs and work well. Just follow the instructions when adding grease and like any hubs, check the seals.

Wharton

OK. You had me concerned with your reply initially with the brake problem. I assume you meant don't over-lube the hubs to prevent leakage onto the brakes.................

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I used Kodiak brakes with a Carlisle controler, 1/4" supply lines back to the split. I have 8K hubs on 7K axels, that means heavier bearings as the spindles are the same ( #42 I think ) on 6K, 7K, and 8K axels, with heavy duty seals.

Disc brakes are the way to go. John, I ran 1/4 tube all the way to the calibers (including the hose fittings). There is no delay at all in my brake operation, how is yours?

It is a real pleasure to have more stopping power then needed. Very smooth, as smooth as with the truck alone. The best mod! From the very first stop, the smile is there and I never what to go back to electric drum brakes.

caissiel

When we travelled south last fall I ran into a break problem that caused my wheels to lock and could not set the break controler at all. I removed the hub on the front right wheel and found grease all over the brake magnet and the face of the drum. There was no grease on the brake surface and the magnets would stick and cause the wheels to lock.
The seals on all four wheels were pushed out and grease had dropped on all the magnets.
On the side of the road I proceded to clean the hubs, drums and reinstalled the old seals in the fit. Repacked the hub and reinstalled properly.
We drove to Florida and and I had to buy new seals to make sure the wheels are keeped clean. After changing the seals I proceded to pack the hubs using the Eazy Lube method. I did notice that when the wheel is rotated while the grease gun is ligthly pumped, there is hardly any resistence to the grease flow. I removed the hubs again to check and everything was great.
I do believe that by jacking the trailer by the frame you can repack your wheels in a few minutes with the easy-lube units, when done properly by rotating the hub while pumping grease lightly with the grease gun.