Water Heater Problem Solved

Saildogs

First of all, we love our 2011 NT24RBS. Tows beautifully and is wonderfully comfortable.

The question we have is whether the water heater is gas only or gas/electric. There are two switches for turning on the heater. One is a toggle switch and one is a breaker switch similar to a light switch. We need to turn both on to get hot water.

The 2011 brochure states the water heater is gas/electric but we think ours is gas only. If it is gas only, how hard would it be to have a gas/electric unit installed? We normally camp with full hookups and prefer to heat the hot water with electric.

Thank you!

jimtoo

Re: Is My Water Heater Gas or Gas/Electric

Find the back of the water heater outside and you will probably find a small black switch, maybe with a pin through it, remove pin and turn on. Then you should be able to turn it on and off from inside with the switch with a red handle that looks like a light switch. Just be sure you have water in the heater before turning on electric, it will burn out quickly.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC

On our first trip we made the mistake of forgetting to turn on the outside switch, so we were trying to heat a take of cold water without both gas and electric working. Since Mark gets up first, he got the hot shower. I got the cold one. That didn't sit well with me! After he remembered the outside switch all was well.
Kristy

Saildogs

Thanks to all of you we now have a clear understanding of how the unit operates. We've been able to get hot water using both the red light switch and the toggle switch on the panel but not just using the red light switch. When we go back to the dealer to get the RVQ installed, we'll have this checked out.

This is a great forum.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

The red switch should turn on the gas to the water heater.

branson4020

Icantre Member
If your so inclined, you might want to ask your dealer for a more accurate description of the work performed. Electrically, a "broken ground wire" makes no sense to me at all. Maybe he meant an open neutral...

Saildogs

Our dealer, Leo's RV in MD (wonderful dealer!) traced the broken wire and replaced it and now we have HOT water just by using the electric switch. I don't know which exact wire was broken but am thrilled that it is now fixed.

Diane