Weather Pro Awning (Dometic)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Problem - Our Weather Pro awning has recently started acting goofy. It will extend alright. When we retract it the awning will come in about 3/4 of the way and then stop. After waiting a minute or two it will come in some more and stop. Wait another minute or two and then it will come in the rest of the way.

Solution - I contacted Dometic and told them of my issue. The lady I talked to told me it could be several problems from the struts being weak to the motor being defective. She said it sounded as if the thermal cutoff was why it would stop. She advised i would need to get it looked at. I told here I believed the issue to be the motor was being defective.

Status - I have contacted Convenience RV Park/Repair Park in Willis, Texas. They are an authorized A&E warranty repair facility and since my awning warranty expires on June 17th I will get it into their shop on this coming Monday. Their shop has an RV Park where you can stay and they will come to your site to work on your rig. BTW - I do have an extended warranty which will also help as I have a couple of other issues to get taken care of. One of which is a front piece on the RV that continuously comes loose, and the wall in the front closet coming loose.

I will keep you posted.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Make doubly sure that Dometic knows that is one of their "authorized" repair facilities and they don't give them the run around about sending in the defective parts before they'll send out the replacement ones. They pulled that crap on me and an authorized mobile tech last year, so I spent over a month without a functioning awning until I raised it on this forum and it got kicked up channel. Fortunately, the awning motor crapped out while it was retracted, not extended.

jmgratz

Thanks for the info John. I will. The repair facility said they were but I will double check.

jmgratz

Last week on Wednesday the service tech at the Convenience RV Shop in Willis, Tx looked at the awning and determined the problem to be a bad control board. A new board was ordered and installed on Friday. The awning now works better than it did when new. The motor is fine. I have made arrangements to bring the coach to Elkhart to get the broken trim piece and closet wall taken care of as the broken trim has been an ongoing issue since the coach was new. BTW the awning was taken care of in warranty.

As a side note, the Convenience RV Shop on Hwy 75 in Willis, Tx (formerly known as the Fish Pond RV Park) has an excellent parts department, and a great (good Chicken Fried Steak) restaurant. The parts department has a wide variety of items that are found in larger stores. They talk highly about Heartland products and Heartlands customer service. They have a campground also where they come to your site and work on the unit. It is located north of Conroe Tx right on I-45 at the Shepard Hill exit on the northbound side. Take the Shepard Hill exit north or southbound and follow the signs. I would give the campground a 2 rating but it sure is handy to the repair facility. The campground stays close to full as 90 percent of the tenants live there in their TT full time. But they do have full hookups with 50amp. Photo of our site at Convenience RV Park is below

Attachments

• Convenience RV Park Willis Tx2.jpg
    Convenience RV Park Willis Tx2.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim, we've thought about staying there several times just never made it. It's a nice looking place. Maybe someday...

jmgratz

We will not be going to Elkhart until Aug 30. We will have to wait till then as I have a MDA appointment on the 19th and 20th and again on the 25th. After those appointments we will head to Indiana.

robbyray

Jim, as a new member, I'm not sure how to get this request to you but in the past several days, while traveling, I've experienced the exact same problem you described about the Weather Pro (Dometic) awning easily extending but intermittently retracting with several (2 to 4) starts and stops with several minutes wait required after each stop before the awning would again retract part way. Since my awning is out of warranty, I'm interested in whether the control board solution your technician found is something that I have to order from the factory or is it a pretty commonly stocked service center item. Secondly, I'm curious as to where the control board is located. I have a control box where the wind sensor is turned off or on and where the awning can be extended or retracted manually but not sure if that is where the control board is located. Appreciate any input you might have. thanks, ray

jmgratz

Jim, as a new member, I'm not sure how to get this request to you but in the past several days, while traveling, I've experienced the exact same problem you described about the Weather Pro (Dometic) awning easily extending but intermittently retracting with several (2 to 4) starts and stops with several minutes wait required after each stop before the awning would again retract part way. Since my awning is out of warranty, I'm interested in whether the control board solution your technician found is something that I have to order from the factory or is it a pretty commonly stocked service center item. Secondly, I'm curious as to where the control board is located. I have a control box where the wind sensor is turned off or on and where the awning can be extended or retracted manually but not sure if that is where the control board is located. Appreciate any input you might have. thanks, ray

The control board is in the black box where you can turn off and on the wind sensor. When they changed out the control board the whole box was changed. The control board comes as an assembly jin the black box. I am not sure if you can order it from Heartland as the repair shop ordered it directly from Dometic (A&E). Not sure if they would sell it to you of if you will have to go through a dealer. Mine was done under warranty. Yes it fixed the problem