AC leaking water inside bedroom - FIX...

computeraces

GEAUX LSU TIGERS!!!
I have two AC's on our Bighorn and the one in the bedroom kept leaking a few drops of water onto the bed. I looked it up on here and thought it was just condensation. It's really humid here in Louisiana during the summer. After a few days, it got worse. More than just a few drops would come out. More like a few tablespoons at once when it turned off and then a few drops after that and while it was one. I got out the owners manual and it said if water is leaking inside that I needed to tighten some bolts down and compress a gasket to 60%. I took off 4 phillips screws to remove the plastic cover and then found four bolts that it was talking about. Two were pretty tight, one was a little loose, and one I could tighten with two fingers. I tightened them all and for the past few days, no drops have came in. Problem solved. I have attached two pictures to hopefully help someone that has the same problem. The first picture is not the exact model, but similar and it shows where the water was dripping from. The second picture shows the four bolts to tighten up. They were actually all thread rods with nuts welded to the ends and one was not a good weld job and I couldn't use a 1/2" socket on it, so I had to use a crescent wrench. It's a Carrier Air V low profile that's in the front bedroom of our 2010 Bighorn 3580RL. Hope this helps someone out there some day.

Cory

Attachments

• ac.jpg
    ac.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 58
  • ac2.JPG
    ac2.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 75

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Cory, I'm just wondering if that was a dealer installed A/C. I know a guy that had the same loose bolt problem, only he discovered it while it was raining. Poor dealer install. CW I think.
The reason you have nuts welded on a threaded rod is because the bolts that are supplied with that unit are not long enough. When I installed mine, I had to get longer bolts.
Glad it's all fixed for you.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Great job, you must have learned something from your daddy!
Next time you come over, i want you to take pictures of the braces we added to my bighorn and post them on here.
Dad

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
As part of my pre-season PM on the RV I check and tighten as needed all the A/C mounting bolts. I have been doing this on all the RV's I have owned since the early 80's.

porthole

Retired
Seeing the difference between the Carrier and Dometic, wish mine was the Carrier. THE Dometic has two discharges. One blows against a wall that is only a few inches away.