Pulled Over While Carrying With A CCW

imchud

Just a question about being pulled over when you're carrying - I have had my CCW in Ohio now for 6 years & my job (sales) keeps me on the road all the time, all over the US (east of the Mississippi). Anyway, over the last 6 years I have been pulled over 3 times by LEO - twice in Ohio and once in NY, (no tickets though):). When I travel I always have a gun with me, I kept it on me when in a state that allows it and in my Breifcase when in a state that does not allows me to carry. When I got pulled over in Ohio the 1st thing I did was tell the LEO that I have a CCW, and I show him my card. One guy said to me, well... if you don't show me yours I won't show you mine. the other guy stood there for 15 minutes Shooting the breeze (no pun attended) about the best gun to carry:cool:. When I got pulled over in NY, I just kept my mouth shut (not alowed in NY) - So the question... have you ever been pulled over in a another state (not yours) that allows you to carry, if so, did you tell the LEO you were carrying or did you keep it to yourself???

davebennington

I have been approached by an officer while broke down on the highway, I gave him my drivers license as well as my CCW permit and all went well, he then helped me get back on the road again.

Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I thought I read somewhere in Michigan's rules that you're required to inform the LEO that you are carrying and have the permit ready. Another officer told me that if I have a handgun in an exposed holster, a CCW permit is not needed and he can't challenge me carrying it. Don't know if I want to go that route, though. Eating concrete in a spread eagle position is not a pretty pose.

Cimriver

The same thing happened to me. I was pulled over by an LEO to check a temporary tag on my truck. I gave him both my license and my Concealed Carry Permit. He asked if I was carrying. I wasn't at the time. I spent the next 15 minutes talking to him about handguns and he sent me on my way. A very pleasant encounter.

I was told during my concealed carry class that you should give an LEO your permit if pulled over as it will likely make the LEO more comfortable. The rational being that if you have a permit in Colorado you have to undergo an extensive background check through both the state and federal databases assuring the LEO that he/she is dealing with a person without a criminal background.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In Texas when the LEO checked your driver's license it will come up that you have a CCW permit. Therefore even though it is no longer a requirement from a LEO point of view I would think it would be best to let the officer know you have a permit, show him the permit and advise him if you are carrying. Officers here are training to say "without touching the weapon tell me where the weapon is located."
Once you respond he will tell you to leave the weapon where it is and might, depending on the circumstances, order you to exit your vehicle so you and the weapon are separated. Under Texas law the Officer has the right to confiscate the weapon until the stop if concluded. He then will return the weapon.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I have a friend who is a Tennessee State Trooper and I asked him what he prefers and he stated that if you have a CCW and are carring The weapon on your body or close beside you to place the weapon on the dash, place you hands on the steering wheel and inform the officer that you have a CCW and the gun is on the dash. He will then instruct you to get your permit, Don't and I repeat DON'T move fast. I carry my CCW behind my DL and can pull it out at the same time. Here in Tennessee if you have a CCW it will come up when they do a search on your D.L. They prefer to know ahead of time. Make sure that you are in a Reciprocal state with your CCW.

tmcran

I have a friend who is a Tennessee State Trooper and I asked him what he prefers and he stated that if you have a CCW and are carring The weapon on your body or close beside you to place the weapon on the dash, place you hands on the steering wheel and inform the officer that you have a CCW and the gun is on the dash. He will then instruct you to get your permit, Don't and I repeat DON'T move fast. I carry my CCW behind my DL and can pull it out at the same time. Here in Tennessee if you have a CCW it will come up when they do a search on your D.L. They prefer to know ahead of time. Make sure that you are in a Reciprocal state with your CCW.

I talked with local Texas DPS office and the trooper I talked with said he would never want to walk up on a car with a gun on the dash. He said the optimum word is Concealed.Texas law says the handgun must be concealed in the car or on the person. In Texas you don't need to have lic to carry in your car. I have mine to carry on my person and to not run into problems in other states.

Northern Virginia
I am neither a LEO nor do I have a CCW. But removing handgun and putting it on the dash during a traffic stop sounds like a really dumb thing to do. IMHO.

John

Rmcgrath53

Last week I was speeding in a school parking lot late at nite. I was going back to check on a door that was unlocked during my work shift at the school. When I returned to my car there was a motor cycle cop and a cop car behind my car. They asked me why I was speeding (they were hiding in the lot with there lites off. In Mi. you cant carry in a hospital , school and bar that has more drinking then food sales). They then asked me if I have a ccw.( they ran my plates and it kicked up /I had one) before I could give them my licence I then told them I did have one. The class i took said I need to tell the officer right away that I have a CCW.He let me go and didnt give me a ticket for speeding. I was glad for I have a perfect record for a long time now. In Mi you are suppose to be so many feet from the school If you carry. I am a Superintendent for construction and many school projects we have the Principle will pack in school property un officially. I dont blame them one bit. These days students with guns are a big problem.

DMitch

Just as general info for those who don't know, New York does not recognize any states carry permit. If you don't have a New York permit and they catch you in that state with a handgun, your in troble.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I wouldn't say anything unless I was in a state that requires disclosure! Here in WA if you have a CWP I have been told it shows on the LEO's computer anyway. More information at USACarry if you haven't been there!

Happy camping!

Pulltab

In Ohio, not all departments have the notification on their screen in patrol cars but a buddy of mine here in town said that the dispatcher will always notify him when he calls in a plate that there is a ccw. Ohio does not require you to tell the officer if you are not carrying but what is the harm, it would most likely put the officer at ease if you told him anyway. JMHO.

hart1369

In Ohio, not all departments have the notification on their screen in patrol cars but a buddy of mine here in town said that the dispatcher will always notify him when he calls in a plate that there is a ccw. Ohio does not require you to tell the officer if you are not carrying but what is the harm, it would most likely put the officer at ease if you told him anyway. JMHO.
i agree whole heartlly its just common curtisey