Photos of simple rodent proofing of slide ram opening

beardedone

Beardedone
173.jpg176.jpg174.JPGI discovered that we had a problem with squirrels get inside the basement through the large opening for the slide opening made to accommodate the hydraulic ram moving in and out. This is what I did. Very simple, in my case I used an old mudflap and cut a 1" hole and then made a slot for a screw to attach it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good idea! I was wondering how to cover up some of the larger holes on my rig. Now I have a use for an old inner tube I've got.

Northern Virginia
Gerry, have you watched the cylinder and rodent flap while retracting and extending. On my unit, the cylinder moves up or down slightly (3/8 inch) as the slide is either fully extended or fully retracted. I would make sure you have enough clearance around the cylinder. Nice idea though.

John

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From the looks of it, that small displacement could be taken care of by making a short slit below the ram, if the rubber is flexible enough.

beardedone

Beardedone
Hi there. The rubber is somewhat flexible and the 1" hole is slightly oversized. Also there is a slit cut from the top of the hole to the top edge so it can be slipped over the ram. There is only one attachment point. I drilled a hole in the centre of a 1" long slit and used a self tapping screw and washer to attach to the frame. This is not very tight so the rubber can move up and down easily if needed. Because the screw is in the opposite corner of the rubber it allows some easy movement of it. I haven't had any issues and I checked closely while my wife ran the slides and I didn't see anything go wrong. Hope this helps.

khalsey

IMG_9089.jpgI was thinking that is something I should do to my "classic" Landmark but when I checked I was suprised to find that it was done at the factory.