NOAA Alert on touch Control Radio - how can I turn it off?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Once while towing and once in the storage yard, I have had loud beeping, like an alarm coming through the speakers (A&B). The first time I hit the on / off button on the touch audio and it stopped. The second time it was in the storage yard and it stopped on it's own. It could be happening more often and I'm not around to be aware of it. Any Idea why this is happening? Not the type of thing I want happening at 3 a.m.!

Thanks
Bret

jimtoo

Re: Loud Beeping through Speakers

Does the entertainment system in the trailer have a weather alert radio? If it does it could be the alert signal.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

I believe it does, I will have to check out that avenue.
Thanks Jim

bozo

Invizatu, I think you have a 2011 21 FBS and that is what I have also. I have not had a beeping sound when the weather alert goes off. Instead the radio starts playing the weather alert. I just went out to pull mine upto the house to get it ready to leave out tomorrow on a weekend trip and the alert was on again. I saw a tread about this on the forum two days ago. A couple of poeple are having the same type problems. The problem is that it runs the battery down and the radio plays on the alert channel until you turn it off. My battery is low right now. I have tried pulling the fuse for the radio and change channels nothing works. If someone knows how to keep the radio from coming on please share the info.

Thanks

bozo

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Disconnect the battery when not using. That will keep the battery from running down.

Re: Hey factory guys how do we keep noaa alert off its running down our batteries

Hi Bozo,

Always wanted to call someone that and not be mean about it :)

Mike Creech may know more about this and will weigh in if he does. I assume there is a NOAA feature on the radio that comes with your North Trail RV?

Three things come to mind:
1. Review the manual for the radio to find out how to turn the feature off
2. Pull the fuse that powers that DC circuit
3. Add a battery cut-off switch to your RV

Personally, I would do 1 and 3. Having a battery cut-off switch is a real plus. The LP detector will also add a parasitic load to the DC power system that WILL run your battery down in time. Before I had a 5th wheel, I had a travel trailer and I added a battery cut-off switch to it. Great DIY modification/upgrade.

Best of luck,

Jim

Re: Hey factory guys how do we keep noaa alert off its running down our batteries

Thanks jbeletti, You guys are a geat help. It is amazing to me how fast that you guys respond when we are really in need of some help thats what service is all about.Thats makes us feel even better about our purchase of the North Trial. The manual in these things are not much help, and I tried pulling the fuses one by one. I know it sound crazy but the radio never when off?? But I agree with you number three sounds like the best solution. That would save the battery no matter what.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

bozo

Bozo:
If the radio never went off when you pulled all of the fuses, I would wonder if the radio has an internal battery also, and switches over to that when the main 12 volt power is lost. You might want that internal battery in an emergency notification device like a NOAA warning radio.
You may want to check the 12 volt power to the radio while you pull the fuses to identify the correct fuse involved.
If you do not have a manual on the radio, you may be able to google the brand and model number followed by the word "manual". Let Jim B. have the link to the manual if you find it for inclusion in the Heartland Owners Manuals section of the "Tools" tab at the top of this page.

Hey Bozo,

What brand and model is the stereo?

Did you look through the blue packet of manuals for the stereo manual? It will not be in the owner's manual - rather, in the owner's packet.

Help us help you - we're so close :)

Jim

bozo

Sorry jbeletti, We just got back from a camping trip. Ours has the touch radio in it. I have the manual but I can't find anything about this in the manual. I think the best thing to do is to put the on/off switch on the trailer as you suggested. This way I can turn it off while in storage to save the batteries. When camping it will work so if there is an alert we will be able to hear it. I can't think of anything worse than living in the south and having no warning when a storm is coming.

Thanks,

bozo

bozo,

Lippert supplies that tough audio stereo to Heartland. I contacted Lippert Customer Service and they got with an engineer in that area. Here is the response:
It is the weather alert and it is for safety. We do not want any of our favorite customers getting blown away by an F5 tornado. There is no internal battery. If they pull the fuse and the radio does not go off then the RV is wired wrong or the fuses are mis-labeled. A battery shutoff or disconnecting the battery on the coach is a great idea for storage. Many items may have small amperage draws such as clocks and radios, L.P. detector even some refrigerators.

So, sounds like you "cannot" turn the alert off at the radio. But as there is no internal battery, cutting power to the unit will be the key to your happiness. Either install a switch, pull the correct fuse or install a battery cut-off switch.

Personally, I would install the battery cut-off switch. It will benefit you more that cutting off the annoying beeps when not RVing as it will cut off "all-power" to all DC circuits to the RV. No more dead batteries 2 weeks later when you come back to the RV to use it.

It's not too expensive to do and most DIYers can do it themselves. Go for it :)

Jim

bozo

Thanks jbeletti for the help. I am the DIY king of the south. Just need a bigger hammer LOL. Hey I have one more for you and I'll leave ya alone. We have the 21FBS that has a 19" TV from the factory. Is it ok to travel with the TV hanging on the wall. It maybe ok but it just doesn't feel safe for it to hang on the wall while traveling. I guess my question would be is the mount strong enough. Our manual says for it to be secured. Do we need to take it off the wall when traveling.

Thanks again,

bozo

bozo,

I can't answer that one for you. Your turn. Please call Heartland at (574-262-5992) and as for the North Trail plant. Then ask the NT plant your question. Circle back here and post the response.

Thanks,

Jim

Actually very easy to turn off the alarm! The user guide is pretty lame, but a couple of minutes with the remote in hand and waalaa, alarm turned off. I had inadvertantly turned it on when trying to set a wake up alarm. Turn the radio on and put on the noaa channel, press the alarm button on the remote and watch the display (there is a little speaker/horn icon). Once to turn on and once to turn off.

bozo

jbeletti, I talked to heartland factory about leaving our TV hanging on the wall while traveling. They said if the TV is the removable type it should not be left on the wall. If it is what he called biult in or in a cabinet you could travel with it in place. Heartland had a very fast reply when I called. I left a message and the guy called me back in about 5 minutes. Thanks Heartland.

Thanks jbeletti for the number info.

bozo