Fenders

Uncle Rog

Chopper, yes I have, we blew a tire in Lodi in August, dodged a bullet with little or no structural damage. I have been talking with the boys in our shop about welding some sort of deflective guards over the tires to prevent any future damage. You can't be lucky every time. I just checked your ebay link, with a little modification and some strong welded braces they just might be the hot ticket..........

ChopperBill

Took another look, they have a "buy it now" for about $26 @. I thought that you might be able to just screw or bolt it above the tires into the coach pretty easily. Might put a mud flap on the back to divert the road splash.

jpmorgan37

Chopper Bill;
Check your measurements carefully before you buy these. These fenders are generally for a 15 inch tire. The 10 3/4 x 72 are usually 16" tire.
I would hate to see you buy them and they not work.

Did you ever consider the Doran Pressure Pro?

John

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hey Chopper Bill, I don't know if your close to one, but you might check Tractor Supply Co., they have all kinds of trailer parts at most all of their stores. You could check your measurements first. That is a good idea to install a fender like that above the tires. I may check them out tomorrow at TSC if I have a chance.

ChopperBill

Yes I thought about those fenders not being the right size but figured that I could cut one end off or cut it in half and extended it out.

timk

I blew a tire on my work trailer the other day. I didn't even know it till I looked in the mirror just in time to see the fender about 20 feet in the air. I think your on to something here, but I would be careful not to give any edges for the tire to catch on. I'm thinking just a flat strip of say 12-14 ga. steel simply screwed on flat?
TimK

jpmorgan37

TimK;
Do you think that aluminum flashing would work? It's light weight, easy to work with and being supported by the floor of the coach, should withstand some pretty good force.

I still think the Pressure Pro is the best solution. You will know immediately of loss of pressure or a blow out. $390 isn't necessarily cheap but most of our insurance deductibles are more than that. JMHO.

John

christianson

fenders

I agree with jpm37 idea Ithink you woud be beter to plate the bottom instead of creating afender I.ve seen what happens tometal fenders when they get ripped off by tires.

ct0218

I agree. When LSI worked on my Mt. Rushmore last month, the put a heavy gauge sheet metal plate above the tires on the street side. I'll have to do the other slide myself since there was no problem on that side. They did a good job and I think it would hold up pretty good to an exploding tire. Some 3/16 diamond plate aluminum might work.

timk

jpmorgan37 said:
TimK;
Do you think that aluminum flashing would work? It's light weight, easy to work with and being supported by the floor of the coach, should withstand some pretty good force.

I still think the Pressure Pro is the best solution. You will know immediately of loss of pressure or a blow out. $390 isn't necessarily cheap but most of our insurance deductibles are more than that. JMHO.

John

John,
I dont think std flashing material (.020) would do the job. If you could find some .070 to .100 material it should be fine as long as its applied directly to the bottom of the slide flooring/plywood. Might even be worth gluing it up and screwing. You sure dont want the tire catching the edge, and having something else flying arround.
TimK

tdharley

You might also try to use galvanized windowells (the kind you put in front of your basement windows).

They are available at Home Depot and come in many different heights