Where do you usually get fuel when traveling?

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I have looked for a fuel specific thread but found none. We live in Canada, when in the states we try to use truck stops, beware all truckers are not created equal, we've seen more than a few campers get crushed by trailers (semi's). there was a post some time ago about a couple who went into a service station and pulled off the back of the trailer.

The fuel prices are all over the map, I was wondering if the HOC could organize and get a club price at a flying J . when you register for the RV they ask what club you belong to.

I alsway found that if you can show there is volume potential they will give discounts to get you there. Has this been done and I am beating a dead horse?

RoadJunkie

If your volunteering to organize this effort, I would say call Flying J corporate and ask if they would be interested--or even consider--a club discount. I don't park overnight at truck stops but a fuel discount could be handy.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI, Flying J offers a RV card which gives you a discount on fuel and other purchases there. The amount of the discount depends on how often, how much and what is purchased. For Flying J fuel prices you can go to their website
http://www.flyingj.com/flyingjPortalWebProject/flyingjPortal.portal

When on the road traveling we usually will use Flying J because it is easy in and out and they have an RV island to fuel at. BTW Flying J just started charging for using their sewer dumping facilities but offer a discount to RV card holders.

wdk450

I avoid having to refuel with the trailer attached. I mostly find that this is too nerve wracking. During overnight or extended stays, I unhitch and go out evening or morning before hitching up, for diesel. I use my computer and GasBuddy.com to find the best local price. I rarely drive distances over what a full 40 gallon tank of fuel will take me in a day.
If fuel is getting low, and I am not at my destination, I will use the GPS to find the nearest fuel sources. It's really amazing how many useful destinations are stored in those little GPS boxes.

goodtruck

We use truck stops to fuel.I stay away from Flying J because I am an over the road Owner operator and have to pay for my own maintenance and I use a very fine fuel filter on the big truck and it seems that they do not change the filters on there fuel pumps as often as they should. If I fuel at the J it clogs my fuel filter soon after I fuel there. I like Petro when I can get there and then TA and then I will look for a Ambest.FJ as a last resort. All the major fuel stops have a saving card even Loves and Pilot.As far as the RV island if you use courtesy when fueling no one will complain when you are done fueling pull forward and then go in and pay for your fuel.Most Drivers know that just because the the tow vehicle is a PU the size of the trailer makes using the car island is a bad idea.

Last edited:

olcoon

I've got a question that is off thread, but here goes anyway. I've got a gasser TV, as I'm not a trucker, and don't have a diesel yet, at the truck pumps, am I assuming correctly that they only have diesel? I'd rather fuel up in the truck area for the extra room, but I haven't gone to the truck area to "explore" the pumps, as I figured that they only have diesel pumps there.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
l believe that at all of the truck fueling stations are all Diesel. As of yet I have never seen gasoline in a diesel station.

I had an Aux tank installed in my TV. I try to never travel over 250 miles in a day. We stay two nights at each place as a minimum. Unless there is no fuel at my stop I will normally fuel up the evening before I am leaving when one tank is empty. I try to make it a point to never fuel up while I am pulling my trailer.

Also I try to fuel up at Wal-Mart's Murphy stations and I use a Wal-Mart shopping card to get a 3¢ discount. Murphy Fuel at Wal-Marts are usually cheaper than most other station prices plus the 3¢ additional.

BC

caissiel

I usually fuel at the largest area to fit the trailer and truck, Flying J is great for the RV Island. Most truck stops works for me except I have to run to the desk because our Canadian credit cerds don't always work at the pump.
When I fuel at Flying J and Citgo I add 2 cycle oil to the fuel because it don't work as efficiantly as the BP, Exxon, Shell, and also If I am not sure I add some anyway. Its not so bad now with the new cleaner fuels.

I hear more and more Gasoline RV's having problem to fuel up with the trailer or a towed car. The bays are all in the direction to see the licence plates from the desk and it makes tight turns to fuel up. There are still lots of fueling station that are in the old direction.

I have 600 miles range with my fuel tanks and traveling south I may fill it twice in one day, depends on the traffic and the weather.

I have alway used truck stops for R and R's and have always been welcomed every where, Canada or US.

I have looked for a fuel specific thread but found none. We live in Canada, when in the states we try to use truck stops, beware all truckers are not created equal, we've seen more than a few campers get crushed by trailers (semi's). there was a post some time ago about a couple who went into a service station and pulled off the back of the trailer.

The fuel prices are all over the map, I was wondering if the HOC could organize and get a club price at a flying J . when you register for the RV they ask what club you belong to.

I alsway found that if you can show there is volume potential they will give discounts to get you there. Has this been done and I am beating a dead horse?

I checked into this earlier this year, trying to see if as a club, we could get a better discount that one could on their own. Short answer: No. Long answer: From time to time, maybe....

Here's the email I got back based on the email I sent on behalf of the club:

From: Mark.Adamson@flyingj.com <Mark.Adamson@flyingj.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:11 AM
Subject: Reward Program for RV Club
To: Jim Beletti <Jim.Beletti@heartlandrvs.com>

Dear Jim,

Thank you for being such a fan of Flying J. We really appreciate your
business. Our Real Value RV Club is open to everyone at no fee. At times we
make special offers to members of different clubs, but mostly the program
is the same for all members. Some groups put a link to our web site to make
enrolling easy.

Thanks,

Mark Adamson
Director of Training
Flying J Inc
O-801-624-1132
C-801-725-0887

Delaine and Lindy

I try to use Flying J, I have a Flying J card and normally use the Truck pumps because we double tow and are very long. I also have twin 80 gal. tanks and the Trucks pumps pump fast. By using Truck Stops the fuel is fresh because of the large turnover and the volume of fuel pumped. We also eat there and use the Flying J card on every purchase. I however like Flying J before they hooked up with Pilot wish they hadn't. Fuel was always cheaper when Flying J was the owner. I don't have to fuel up very often, so check Diesel Buddy very often for the cheapest fuel. GBY.......

Two Hands

Flying J has always been my favorite. I use their RV Real Value Member card, but it only gets me 1 cent off per gallon. I have used all kinds of diesel in my truck and have never had a problem caused by fuel.