Window caulking?

bobw103

We just brought our 2010 2450 TS home a few weeks ago and noticed that the windows are only caulked on the top and about 6 inches down. Is this normal and if so why do they not caulk them all around? These units do go down the road when it is raining which seems like a concern?
Bobbi

tmcran

This is normal on the ones I have seen. Some will caulk the sides but don't caulk the bottoms. The water may not be able to drain if you do.

gasman

Camp Socializer
All of the openings have a putty tape or butyl tape installed under the framework. They caulk the tops as an added protection for water running down the sides of the unit. You can trim back the putty tape and caulk all the way around if you like. You would want to use "Pro Flex" caulking. It is very similar to silicone but it will not attract the dirt like silicone does.

B

bwwalczak

Please note that Heartland only "CAP SEALS" the top of windows, and the prior posts are correct regarding the internal seals. When you look at your window the next time, look at the cuts in the metal near the bottom. These are called "weep holes". Weep holes are designed to allow water to escape FROM the window. If you were to seal the entire perimeter of the windows, this could have an adverse effect on runoff effectiveness.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Please note that Heartland only "CAP SEALS" the top of windows, and the prior posts are correct regarding the internal seals. When you look at your window the next time, look at the cuts in the metal near the bottom. These are called "weep holes". Weep holes are designed to allow water to escape FROM the window. If you were to seal the entire perimeter of the windows, this could have an adverse effect on runoff effectiveness.

Hello Bryan!

I have a concern with the big window (door side) on our Big Country 3450 (the one you can see in our sig picture). I read in your post the windows have "internal seals". The bottom forward corner of this window does not fit flush against the wall. It is about 3/16 to a 1/4 or so away from the wall. I can see the frame and where it goes into the wall. I am afraid that water forced by forward motion could get in there and leak into the wall. Would the internal seal you are referring to prevent this from happening?
Also, this window, unlike all the others, does not have any weep holes! Is it supposed to?

Thanks!

babycampers

We have a North Country and recently while driving through a fierce rainstorm out West, discovered that every window on the side that the rain hit had let in the water and ran down the interior walls to the floor. Does anyone else experience this while traveling? It doesn't occur while parked.
Hello Bryan!

I have a concern with the big window (door side) on our Big Country 3450 (the one you can see in our sig picture). I read in your post the windows have "internal seals". The bottom forward corner of this window does not fit flush against the wall. It is about 3/16 to a 1/4 or so away from the wall. I can see the frame and where it goes into the wall. I am afraid that water forced by forward motion could get in there and leak into the wall. Would the internal seal you are referring to prevent this from happening?
Also, this window, unlike all the others, does not have any weep holes! Is it supposed to?

Thanks!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: Update

I never did get an answer from Mr. Walczak...even sent him a PM. So, I am assuming door side slide windows do not have weep holes and it is OK to caulk the vertical edges of the windows (just finished doing that)

By the way...I did talk with certified Heartland Tech, Ryan Prough, and his opinion was since I don't have an actual leak and the windows are "rain tested" at the factory and dealer, I don't need to pull the window and reinstall. Hope he is right! It would be nice to have a little more information about the "internal seal" though! I sure don't want any delamination problems down the road!

Happy Camping!