block light from shower ceiling

We got our new fifth wheel Wednesday. I don't like light to wake me up. In our trailer, I purchased foam squares and covered them with flannel and stuck them in the roof vents to keep out light at night and in hot weather and they worked fine. The shower lid is slanted in our 5th wheel and the piece of foam would not stay up there. I sewed the bumpy stuff you put in drawers or under sewing machines to make them quieter to all four sides of the fabric I sewed around the foam and it seems to be staying in place. Any other ideas?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The shower skylight is made in two parts. An outdoor part on the roof of the trailer, which is calked and sealed to keep out water. An interior part that is held in place with screws. Remove the screws an the interior part will come down.

I took a piece of bubble insulation and cut it big enough to fit the inside of the skylight. Use a bit of duct tape to hold it place. Put the interior part of the skylight back up secured it back with the screws. This is a more permanent method.

Some have put up some small channel up on the edge of the skylight and slide a thin plate up to keep the light out and remove it when they want more light in the area.

I am sure some will pipe in with more suggestions.

BC

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I saw in an RV book some product that is made for this, my friend then baught it as they (the whole family) cannot sleep with any light. Check thorugh the camping world web site.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We did as TXBob putting foil bubble wrap inside between the layers, retains the over all height in the shower so our heads don't hit.
I saw the roll type shower skylight blind in a local RV store but it mounted about 3" lower than the ceiling.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
we have had several rv's over the years. we ordered our bighorn without the skylight over the shower as we did not need the extra ceiling height. love it. also one less place for the roof to leak.

Boca_Shuffles

If you want to block the direct line of light from the shower, you can partially close the folding vinyl curtain. It won't make it pitch dark, but neither will your night shades.

I put a tan colored vent cover over my vent opening. It works much better than the white clear plastic vent covers that seem to attract the very early sunrise light and direct it into the bedroom.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just dropped the inside cover,,, 6--8 screws.,,, then put a piece of aluminum foil over it.. secured it with tape and put it back... no light now... and being me... cheap...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Could get a can of black paint and "paint it black" LOL Just joking. Aluminum foil could work and would block the heat. You could also put a venation blind over it.

Paul & Nan

I used black upolstery vynal cut to size and sticky velcro to hold it onto rim of skylight. Can take it down for more light, or leave it up.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Paul,
Similar to what I did. I took a navy blue table place mat (vinyl), and it fits perfectly over the skylight, and I used velco dots all around the edge. Works good for us.

Jburks

I went to wally world, bought some black window tint, took down the inner skylight and installed the film. works great. I left it away from the edges a little bit so that it did not block all the light in the shower.