How much electrical can I run with the 30 amp male to 50 amp female adapter provided.

I'm a noobie to 5th wheel / 50 amp and now that I need the A/C when camping I'm a little confused. What do I have to give up at the campground when connecting to 30 amp shore power. Here in Michigan, the state campgrounds don't always have 50 amp sites.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
With 30 amp you will be limited as to how many high amp appliances you can run at ONE time.
Typically, with the A/C on you will not be able to use your microwave-well you can for about 3 seconds.
If you have dual A/C, you can run one at a time. TV, dvd player, water heater on electric with the A/C is ok. You may consider adding up the amperage draw of the items you want to run.
Remember startup up the compressor for the A/C will always take more amps than running amps-it is a good idea to start it first.

Your limiting factor here is not the adapter you mentioned in the thread title, but the 30 amp power being supplied at the pedestal.

Gator

We just got home from 2 weeks at the beach on 30 amps. All we have to give up is the microwave. If we really need to use the microwave we simply turn off the air conditioner while the micro is on. Kept the ice machine running 24/7. At home I only ran a 30 amp line. Never had any problems with anything but the microwave.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When on 30 amps even a toaster or hair dryer would be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" by overloading causing the breaker to trip.

goodtruck

Something else is make sure of is that you have a good connection at the pedestal.There are allot of people that don't and have a tendency to burn the connectors and then you have a big problem.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
they have a new electrical adapter out. It has 2 male plugs on it, one plugs into the 30 amp side, the other plugs into the regular house type recep. (15 amps). this will give you a little more elect. power. you can run your 1 ac unit and little more of something else. can you run the microwave or hair dryer, depends on each rv. but it is better than just using the 30 amp.
When connecting your RV's 50 amp power cord to a power panel, don't be limited to just 15 or 30 amps. The PowerGrip™ Power Maximizer combines the power from a 15 and a 30 amp outlet allowing your RV to receive up to 45 amps.

3731-1716.jpg

jimtoo

If you will check some of the campgrounds you will find that 90% of them have removed the 15 amp plug or replaced it with a GFI plug. It states on the web site for these and others that it will not work with a GFI plug.

I bought one, not this brand, but same thing about 6 years ago,,, only been able to use it maybe 3-4 times.

Jim M

Willym

they have a new electrical adapter out. It has 2 male plugs on it, one plugs into the 30 amp side, the other plugs into the regular house type recep. (15 amps). this will give you a little more elect. power. you can run your 1 ac unit and little more of something else. can you run the microwave or hair dryer, depends on each rv. but it is better than just using the 30 amp.
When connecting your RV's 50 amp power cord to a power panel, don't be limited to just 15 or 30 amps. The PowerGrip™ Power Maximizer combines the power from a 15 and a 30 amp outlet allowing your RV to receive up to 45 amps.

3731-1716.jpg

This is a Camco RV product, and it appears that one would need to be careful when using it. If one plug is inserted into a live socket, the other plug will have live pongs and present an electrocution hazard. Unless it has some safety feature that is not evident in the photo or description, it doesn't look legal.

Northern Virginia
It is safe. Not sure about legal.
Your 50 service has two separate legs. This device gives 30 amps to one leg and 15 or 20 amps to the other leg. If you only plugged in one side, the exposed second side, since it is completely independent, has no current running through it.

John

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have asked a number of people who have one and none of them recommended to buy it again. They all said most of the time they have tried it did not work.

Willym

It is safe. Not sure about legal.
Your 50 service has two separate legs. This device gives 30 amps to one leg and 15 or 20 amps to the other leg. If you only plugged in one side, the exposed second side, since it is completely independent, has no current running through it.

John
Thanks, I forgot that it led to a 50A socket. I imagine that it won't work too well if the 30 and 15/20 amp circuits share the same supply breaker.

scotty

As we have found out at many CGs the 15 amp is taken directly off of the 30 amp, so no advantage to using this type of plug.

RollingHome

Bill, You are not going to like my answer... but here goes... Use one AC unit, then everything else ya want. If the main breaker trips start load shedding and enjoy your RV. You will soon find out what ya can use and what ya can't use... This "Omosis" type of learning is what most "expert RV'rs" discover so just go for it and enjoy yourself. Remember, this is about fun and ya won't blow up Toledo doing it ! Pretty soon you will be telling others what to do. JMO

For reference, I am in a WI State Rec. facility with 30 amp power and I successfully ran "at the same time", the bedroom AC and the convection oven for a long period of time, plus 32" TV, DC converter, ceiling fan and some lights.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I concur with Jim. I have 30amp service and have never had a problem running A/C (15K BTU), microwave, TV, and several lights simultaneously. I think the 30 amp service units actually handle it better than those designed for 50 amps.

Thanks all. I'm in Tionesta, PA campground w/ 50 amp for now. I will find out when I get back to Michigan. I'm sure getting the compliments on my Bighorn. There are two other Bighorns here.