noisy water pump

Ride1st

We just picked up our NT 21FBS and are very pleased so far. The water pump is very noisy though. Whenever the pump turns on it sounds like the whole trailer is vibrating. I found the pump under the stove and don't see any kinked water lines or loose pump mount. How noisy should this pump be abd does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The pump will make some noise but should not be vibrating. If possible check to make sure the pump is secured and not just sitting loose. Also check to be sure the water lines are not loose. I know others will have other suggestions.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What I've done with other rigs I've had is to isolate the water lines that may run against an inner wall or touching each other (hot & cold) by wrapping them in 1/2" pipe insulation. The lines vibrate when the pump runs and you're right, it can get pretty noisy. Make sure the lines coming directly off of the pump are not laying against anything that would add to the noise.

The water pump in our 21FBS is also very noisy and vibrates the entire kitchen area. I also inspected the pump and did not find anything abnormal. I did take a 1/2" thick piece of medium dense foam rubber and mounted the pump on top of that. Noise and vibration cut about in half - still annoying but all my other RV's were similarly annoying.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Mounting the pump properly can help but most of the noise seems to come from the pump chambers working to make pressure. Upgrading to a "quiet" pump worked for us.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/16267-upgraded-fresh-water-pump?highlight=Shurflo

Ride1st

Mounting the pump properly can help but most of the noise seems to come from the pump chambers working to make pressure. Upgrading to a "quiet" pump worked for us.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/16267-upgraded-fresh-water-pump?highlight=Shurflo

Thanks for the additional info. I am going to try a few of the suggestions to quiet the existing pump. If that doesn't help enough I will look into the replacement pump.

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
ride1st,
I agree with bobk, I also used some foam and secured it down with some wod screw and rubber washers and snugged it down and it took care of our noise, good luck!

chrispitude

Boy, you guys aren't kidding. We just had our first camping trip in our 2011 21FBS, and that water pump is brutal. Think you're going to sneak off to the bathroom in the middle of the night and manage a quick flush without waking the rest of the campground? Nice try, bucko. I'll look into messing around with the mounting of the existing pump. If that fails, looks like I'm spending some hard-earned dollars on a replacement pump too.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Don't forget!! Try following the pex lines close to the pump and insulate them with that black foam pipe insulation if they are running along a wall or touching anything while passing through a wall. They pick up and transfer the vibrations from the pump.

I spent many hours and lots of foam , rubber mounts, and was still very loud ! One day I tried something that makes no sense but it works It only took me 1 1/2 years. First thing is to remove your kitchen and bath airators and clean and inspect, my kitchen one had 5 count them 5 screens in it and both airators had white plastic in them, #2 clean the clear bowl on the suction side of the pump it also had white plastic in it.#3 make sure your water heater is bled of all the air, Here is were it gets strange 1st turn off the pump and open the tank drain until you get a steady stream.( the pick-up for the pump is on a T with the drain ) then turn on the pump and take out the airator in the kitchen and open the cold water all the way and let it run awhile, shut it off and then the hot stand back there will be lots of water then go to the bath and due the same thing. Re-install the airators and try it again. I dont know why but this quiets my pump down to a purr !!
and I don,t wake the hole campground when I run water. I do this at home so I can drain the gray tank and re-fill the fresh water tank you will use several gallons of water. It may not work on yours but it,s worth a try. Also be shure to bleed the air from you shower and outside shower.

Good luck
Dale

kellermm

This is our first trailer and we weren't sure how the pump was supposed to sound, very glad to read this and now we will try some of the suggestions to make ours quieter. Thanks so much for posting your problems and suggestions for fixes. mary