Electric Awning

goodtruck

I have a 2010 Eagle Ridge 34QRSL and would like to know if the side of the unit will support the weight of conversion to change from manual to electric.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Elctric Awning

There isn't much weight difference. The small 12V motor is attached to the end of the roller tube, which is pretty much standard. The arms are a bit different, but I believe they may actually be lighter (not as long). As a couple of gas struts in the arms, and that's about all the difference there is. I'm judging this assumption based on having a manual awning on our previous TT and an electric one on the BH.

If you do convert, it may be possible to have one arm still be adjustable and the other not. Usually the rear arm is the adjustable one.

Personal opinion: The electric is a nice convenience, but when the motor fails, you're S.O.L. If it dies while retracted, you're without an awning until you get it replaced. If it goes while extended, you need two people and a ladder to get it rolled back up, which is a one-way deal. Having had my electric fail (retracted, fortunately), I'd seriously reconsider wanting to get another. And when I had the motor replaced, I asked for the free retrofit of the adjustable arm. Unfortunately, I was told my particular model did not accept that. So, when it rains and the trailer is level, the water runs towards the front end of the awning...right to the motor.

B

bwwalczak

Re: Elctric Awning

The legs on electric awnings are much shorter than manual awnings. If installing an electric awning, there will be holes in the sidewall that will need body work to cover. There are advantages and disadvantages to electric and manual awnings.