Towing Mirrors

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendation on what brand of extension mirror to buy so I can see to the rear better? I don't want to spend a lot replacing original equipment.

Thanks
HappyPappy

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've been using the Cipa mirrors for several years and have had very good luck with them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had a set for my '01 Avalanche. Worked pretty well for me. Just had to remember to remove them when we weren't pulling the TT. Bought them at General RV when we got the TT. They're sitting in a box up in the garage attic now.

jimtoo

Hey HappyPappy. what kind of tow vehicle do you have??? I have a set in my garage I don't need... maybe one of us can help you out...

Jim M

I got the CIPA mirrors and put them on a went for a test drive. They seem to work just fine, they don't vibrate so to have trouble seeing behind you and they don't make a lot of noise from the wind and they didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm a HappyPappy. Thanks for the reviews.

HappyPappy

RollingHome

The Hensley Company enlightened me, how many know there are state laws that stipulate "WE" must be able to see the back and behind our RV ? I can't see behind and back of my RV (or trailer) so I'm in violation of PA state laws. I have the GMC towing mirrors (manually extended). I ordered strap on mirrors from Hensley and I'll be darn if I can make them fit onto my NBS Chebbie. Anyone else have these mirrors ? Any hints for me ? I'm thinking about sending them back to Hensley they were just over $ 100.00 I really would like to have greater visibility out back... but ! Tom

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Hensley Company enlightened me, how many know there are state laws that stipulate "WE" must be able to see the back and behind our RV ? I can't see behind and back of my RV (or trailer) so I'm in violation of PA state laws. I have the GMC towing mirrors (manually extended). I ordered strap on mirrors from Hensley and I'll be darn if I can make them fit onto my NBS Chebbie. Anyone else have these mirrors ? Any hints for me ? I'm thinking about sending them back to Hensley they were just over $ 100.00 I really would like to have greater visibility out back... but ! Tom

Sounds like a misinterpretation to me. Even OTR rigs can't SEE the back of the trailer. Even having a back-up camera will not show the back of the trailer, just what's close behind. Like the signs on the backs of commercial trailers, IF I CAN'T SEE YOU IN MY MIRRORS, YOU'RE TOO (EXPLETIVE) CLOSE. If this requirement were true, every state would be pulling over every RV to check and cash in on the fine bonanza.

RollingHome

John, check the laws and see what ya think... I think this is another one of those laws which is on the books and "selectively" enforced... ya know, like "any trailer must not be towed faster then 55 MPH.... yeah right... Tell the 70MPH semi rocket to slow down... lot's of luck huh !

porthole

Retired
Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendation on what brand of extension mirror to buy so I can see to the rear better?

I have been quite amused lately with some of the titles and thread comments - some of them have been just begging for a wise guy response :D

jdcarp2001

Hey, you guys are great. The first post I read gave me an answer I was looking for. I have tried mirrors that suction cup to your mirror, good but they do fall off. The mirrors that you clamp to the front of your existing mirror, also good but you have continually adjust them and a good bump causes them to move. I need a set of mirrors I don't have to mess with and CIPA sounds like it will fit the bill. Thanks

APT

I ordered from Amazon and got them installed. They are not rock solid, but very good. Now I just need the TT.

bozo

Hey I have the strap on kind and I just shake my head real fast to keep up with vibration of my mirriors to bring everything into focus and I can see great. But the dizziness and headache's are a problem.

HAPPY CAMPING!!!!!

bozo

porthole

Retired
Hey I have the strap on kind and I just shake my head real fast to keep up with vibration of my mirriors to bring everything into focus and I can see great. But the dizziness and headache's are a problem.

HAPPY CAMPING!!!!!

bozo

See what I mean :D

hillsonwheels

For what it's worth.....The truck we chose didn't have stock extension mirrors. The dummy in charge of doin' the wheelin' and dealin' did not even notice. That would be my evil twin. :mad: When I called about retrofit the $600 price tag for electric remotes about caused me to have a heart attack. The fellow on the other end must've sensed my angst and said not to worry. Dealerships have plenty of take off mirrors lying around their body shops and he'd be glad to install a set of stock manual extension mirrors for my truck for $200. Not too hard to guess which way I went. I'd strongly suggest checking with a dealer for bolt-on stocks instead of strap-on anythings. Now........if I can only get my hands on my evil twin? :rolleyes:

Dick