Regular Flat Screen TV? or RV rated Flat Screen?

slappuck

I'm wanting to purchase a TV for the my North Country 26 BH, I believe only a 19" or 22" will only fit in the upper shelf above the dinning table. I've seen flat screens sold at Camping Stores that are rated for RV's, but they are so much more expensive then regular flat screens you can buy at most stores. I plan on removing the TV during traveling and storing periods. Does any for see a problem with buying a regular flat screen over the RV rated ones?

Thank You for any help...

a new member and owner of a travel trailer..

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
slappuck, this is the first time I have heard of a RV rated TV. Guess I don't get out much.
I put a 19" Samsung (house rated) in the BR of my Bighorn. It's got a lot of miles on it and it still works.
My thoughts are get a regular flat screen.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I read about installing a new TV on forums are that the Vizio is a good TV. There was an article on TV that the Vizio TV is as good as the major brands an is less expensive. I bought a 32" for a SOB before I bought my BH. Daughter and grandkids are using it for a game tv now and it seems to be doing well.

Here is a link to one you may consider. Vizio 22" Class LED-LCD 1080p 60Hz HDTV, M220VA

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ditto to what the other two posters have said. We have "store bought" Vizios in both the LR & BR. No issues after 4 years with either one.

SmokeyBare

What ever brand TV you purchase, try to see how the signal meter works when making the final decision. When moving from location to location, your going to need to reprogram the TV to get the local over the air channels. There will be times when you will be in a fringe area and find the signal strength meter a very helpful tool. I have read there are some TVs sold with NO Signal Meter... that sure would make it difficult aiming the Antenna. They do make a Meter that can be attached to the antenna cable but those are quite pricey.

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What ever brand TV you purchase, try to see how the signal meter works when making the final decision. When moving from location to location, your going to need to reprogram the TV to get the local over the air channels. There will be times when you will be in a fringe area and find the signal strength meter a very helpful tool. I have read there are some TVs sold with NO Signal Meter... that sure would make it difficult aiming the Antenna. They do make a Meter that can be attached to the antenna cable but those are quite pricey.

Marv
I agree with you Marv. Our converter box had a meter. What a great tool. Here's a website that has a link where you can put in an address or zip code. It will let you position your location on a map and then tell you the compass heading for available stations in the area and also gives the channel number, call letters and it's distance from your location.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I'm wanting to purchase a TV for the my North Country 26 BH, I believe only a 19" or 22" will only fit in the upper shelf above the dinning table. I've seen flat screens sold at Camping Stores that are rated for RV's, but they are so much more expensive then regular flat screens you can buy at most stores. I plan on removing the TV during traveling and storing periods. Does any for see a problem with buying a regular flat screen over the RV rated ones?

Thank You for any help...

a new member and owner of a travel trailer..

We have two Insignia brand flat screens from Best Buy...one is 32" the other is 19"...they've been bounced down the road for close to 50,000 miles in the three years we've been fulltime. Not one problem....don't let advertising make your decision. Don't think there is any difference in these TV's, except the price.

What's important is to make sure they are mounted securely so they stay in place during travel...JMHO!

P.S. The Insignia's have nice signal meters like Marv suggested too!

slappuck

Thanks all for the tips...I'm going to buy regular flat screen from Walmart or Best Buy. The "RV rated" (not the official name) TV's, the camping store claimed was more tolerant to heat and vibrations, anyways the prices for the tv's were outrageous. Thanks again ...