KOA Rodanthe

jmaguire

We will be staying at the KOA from June 28 through July 3. Anyone going to be there? How about any suggestions about the stay? I am taking the camper through the Bay Bridge Tunnel for the first time. Any traveling advice?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What state and city is the KOA in? Don't have a clue where the Bay Bridge Tunnel is. Maybe near San Francisco Bay?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim, The KOA is in Rodanthe NC right next to Camp Hatteras where Gus had the Eastern rally. The Bay Bridge tunnel is the Chespeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Very cool experience if you are ever near Va beach.

John, wish could be there and join you. Have fun and be safe.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for the info. Sometimes we forget that others are not familiar with the area we are in.

beasleyrl

Watch out for the Monitor-Merimac tunnel. The road immediately before the tunnel has a very bad spot in the right lane. We've broken 2 leaf springs going through there in the last 18 months. You might consider going the other way around Norfolk if that is an option for you.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
What state and city is the KOA in? Don't have a clue where the Bay Bridge Tunnel is. Maybe near San Francisco Bay?

Jim...guess they should have said the Chesapeake Bay/Bridge Tunnel...it connects the eastern shore of Maryland with Virginia...those of us from the area forget others don't know what we're talking about...

RollingHome

John, CBTB, we enjoy stopping halfway thru and doing the lunch thing... walkin around a bit. etc. etc. The Rodanthe KOA, nice place, you'll like it... JMO. Lotsa stuff to do outside the CG. ta

Saildogs

We were in Virginia Beach in May and used the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Very nice trip and there is a pulloff just after the toll plaza on the eastern shore side that has great views of a white sand beach. The restaurant on Fisherman's Island was closed in May so may want to check before planning lunch there. Also, propane must be turned off when using tunnel and the toll facilities attendant will ask if it is turned off. The views of the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean are breathtaking.

lcdrdean

We have stayed at the Rodanthe KOA numerous times with our SOB trailer (haven't been with our new BH yet). It is always enjoyable. Since I am in VA just north of King's Dominion, we always take 95 south to 295 to 460 east. I have found the ride much more enjoyable with a lot less traffic and stress, plus I don't have to turn off the gas in the trailer to go through any tunnels. I see you are in MD, so you might want to consider coming down 301 to 95.