Generator Mod

landp

I am often in 30amp sites and cant use both a/c at once. Is there a way to use the generator to run one of the a/c's?

kkflstf

Just start the generator, it will easily run both a/c's with or without shore power if you have the factory installed Onan 5500 option.

Northern Virginia
Yes. You have several options. What kind of generator do you have? How many watts? Built-in or portable? How many BTU's are the air conditioners? Roof top units?

That's good to start,

John

landp

I have a 3210 with a factory installed gen. The front a/c was factory installed the back a/c was installed by camperland and htey are both roof tops. As far as BTU is there a way to tell from looking at the ac?

Yes. You have several options. What kind of generator do you have? How many watts? Built-in or portable? How many BTU's are the air conditioners? Roof top units?

That's good to start,

John

landp

The only problem I have to the gen running while on shore power is the chance the campsite may lose power and the power from the gen would then be running thru the outside electrical grid. I would hate for someone to be electrcuted because of my generator

kkflstf

The only problem I have to the gen running while on shore power is the chance the campsite may lose power and the power from the gen would then be running thru the outside electrical grid. I would hate for someone to be electrcuted because of my generator

If the transfer switch is working properly there will be no back feeding.

branson4020

Icantre Member
No worries about electrical hazard. The auto transfer switch which is part of your factory installed genset option prevents the genset and shore power cord from being simultaneously connected to your coach.

Northern Virginia
It would get pretty involved to rewire a built in generator and a/c unit to run independent of the rest of the 50 amp service. Like a couple others said, your transfer switch keeps your generator power from back feeding the power grid. The easiest thing to do on a real hot day is run the generator. No need to unplug from the pedestal. Just start the generator and turn on the a/c units.

John

landp

I tried it yesterday and was able to run both a/c's and the washer/dryer combo. It was just a test to see if it would work. Sucked up about 2 to 3 gallons of fuel so its not something I would do often but just when I need it for a quick fix.