Directway, directv and cabling

landp

Right now I am camping at TT Tawakoni and cant get a signal with my verizon card. Well I was given a Hughes net internet dish with the directv horn on the side, so it will do both internet and TV. Problem is there are 4 cable running out of it and I need to get four cable into the trailer. I dont want to run them thru the window but through the connection junction box. Any ideals on how to run extra cables into the trailer?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just one question first...did you have a "qualified Hughesnet Tech" re-commission the modem for you? You cannot call Hughesnet and do it yourself, they do NOT support mobile applications...wiring it to the RV will be a mute point if it's not operational.

When we had Hughesnet with the "bird on the wire" for DTV, DH installed a watertight connection plate on the side of the entertainment center where he could "plug in" all the necessary wires, inside the RV they ran to the DTV box and the Hughesnet modem.

I can tell you, you will NOT get any assistance from Hughesnet or DTV with this type of setup and Hughesnet will change transponders on you without notice...Good Luck! If we me I'd just get a Wilson Trucker's Antenna to boost the Verizon aircard signal...much easier!!

landp

I am getting my modem from maxwell satelite, all of my support will be through them. I dont know much about wilson trucker antenna, but I own a zboost cell phone booster and it really doesnt help much.

Just one question first...did you have a "qualified Hughesnet Tech" re-commission the modem for you? You cannot call Hughesnet and do it yourself, they do NOT support mobile applications...wiring it to the RV will be a mute point if it's not operational.

When we had Hughesnet with the "bird on the wire" for DTV, DH installed a watertight connection plate on the side of the entertainment center where he could "plug in" all the necessary wires, inside the RV they ran to the DTV box and the Hughesnet modem.

I can tell you, you will NOT get any assistance from Hughesnet or DTV with this type of setup and Hughesnet will change transponders on you without notice...Good Luck! If we me I'd just get a Wilson Trucker's Antenna to boost the Verizon aircard signal...much easier!!

SmokeyBare

LandP,

I have a 3400-RL Bighorn. I cut into the side of the Entertainment slide wall and installed a Electrical box. When the slide room is retracted and ready for travel, the base plate is not visible. The rubber seal clears the coaxial fittings nicely... so it doesn't damage the seal.

The wires go into a base cabinet - where others might have a Fireplace, I have a pair of doors. I used the power outlet that was inside that cabinet to power the HugheNet Modem. On the outside wall I attached a wall plate with two coaxial fittings where I attach the cables from the HugheNet dish. On the inside of the box I mounted a wall cover plate with 2 holes for the cables to run through. The modem is always left inside the cabinet as well as my router which makes my system a wireless or WiFi Hot Spot.

For the TV, I use a seperate dish and just run that cable to the docking station.

Marv

Attachments

• IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    555.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3264.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3265.JPG
    IMG_3265.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 15

landp

This really looks like a possable solution, I have a 3210 and have replaced the couch with two recliners. I would just have to make sure I have enough cable inside to be able to close the slide. How to do make sure you werent cutting into something important in the slide?

SmokeyBare

LandP,

Well Now.... if you look closely at the metal inside plate where the gray cables come through, your going to see pencil marks on the right side and a drill hole. The first drill hole I made went into a Aluminum Stud...

I moved the marks over to the left of that mistake and finished drilling and cutting out the hole. Once I had the inside hole made I used a small drill bit to mark the 4 corners through the outside wall. I knew there wasn't any wires going through there because I could see where they went through the underside of the slide room.

Marv

landp

With my luck I would drill into some type of connection that holds the whole trailer together, next things I know my 3210 would be a pile of metal and stuff piled up next to my truck. :D