Welcome Back Light feature - how does it work?

MandJ

Our 3185 2011 Bighorn has this item but we have not been able to determine when and IF it will go on when we walk in the rig. Does the "aisle" switch have to be on to make it work? Though if it is on, the over door light goes on all the time! It seems to be tied to entering with the Keyless entry system....

Anyone who has figured this lamp out, please let me know. Frustrated in PA.

Marie and John

goodtruck

Re: Welcome Back Light??

Not trying to be a wise guy but Have you looked in your operation Manuel.I would think there would be info on it.on our ER there were instructions on everything.

ChopperBill

Our 3185 2011 Bighorn has this item but we have not been able to determine when and IF it will go on when we walk in the rig. Does the "aisle" switch have to be on to make it work? Though if it is on, the over door light goes on all the time! It seems to be tied to entering with the Keyless entry system....

Anyone who has figured this lamp out, please let me know. Frustrated in PA.

Marie and John

If you look on the hinge side of the bottom of the door jamb you will find a "switch" that is opperated when a couple of "buttons" close of the "plate" so I think it has nothing to do with the keyless entry. Mine works all the time and I am pretty sure the isle switch on the wall is in the off position. If you leave the door open it will take a lot longer for it to go off then if you close the door.
on edit: On second thought one of the "buttons" may be for the key less setup and one may be for the light.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader

We could not figure it out until we had this light on that would not go out. when I was looking for the manual my wife said, oh, it just went out.

MandJ

John here,
There were no instructions for the Welcome lamp in our manual. It is a new item for the rigs as my 3185 was delivered late May 2010. I am aware of the two door contacts. I just have to keep playing till I figure a pattern. GRRR!

Thank you all. JOHNBOY

musicman

Our light comes on when we open the door and it goes off when we close the door. I do not know of any switch that turns this on or off. We have the BH 3185RL and it seems to be working great. Hope this helps!

RollingHome

Johnboy, let me know when you figure it out because we have the same problem... I think HL did it this way to give us unanswerable questions... They are very sick people in Indiana :)

Willym

You should have a time delay for the light going off once the door is closed. This should give you time to operate an internal light switch.

The contacts on the bottom inside edge of the door feed 12v power to electric actuator for the deadbolt for the keypad entry system. I suspect that interruption of this circuit when opening the door, is what triggers the welcome light.

I have the answer! Actually, I asked Engineering and here's what they told me:

The switch labeled "Aisle" next to the step light switch must be in the off position for this feature to work. Additionally, it is triggered by the entrance door not the screen door.

The two brass plungers at the bottom of the door are for the key-less entry, not the welcome back light. Early models had a black plunger while current models have an internal magnetic switch that operates this feature.

The light is triggered when the entrance door is opened and will remain lit for approximately 1 minute and then dim out. If the door is left open, it will not work again until the door is closed.

Because it works by breaking ground circuit, the light will come back on if the door is not closed before it dims out the next time the door closes. If the aisle light switch is left on, it overrides the circuitry and the light simply remains lit until it is manually switched off.

Willym

Thanks Jim. That 1 minute time delay mentioned in the link is much longer than what we see in our trailer. Is the time delay adjustable?

Jim, I agree with Bill (willym). I cannot detect a pattern, sometimes it's 1 minute next time it's 15 minutes then on forever... I'll try the off Aisle switch... we'll see. Did the engineers mention which breaker or fuse to pull to disable it ? It's a really nice feature and a PITA feature at the same time (bittersweet) when it doesn't behave itself. Tom

I have the answer! Actually, I asked Engineering and here's what they told me:

I want to thank Jim and all my Heartland brothers and sisters for their help. I read the link extensively and I DO have a problem. The welcome back lamp only went on one time as I entered my unit during the first week I owned it. It now does not light unless I manually put it in override with the switch on. I will have to add that to my punchlist for my dealer to troubleshoot.

Again thank you all.

Sincerely,
Marie and John of Newtown PA.

Steve, while I don't have the keyless entry or welcome back light, I guess the first thing I would check is the 12 volt fuse panel, for a lit red LED, which would indicate a blown fuse for that circuit.
Let us know when you get it fixed, what the problem was.

Peace
Dave

RollingHome

I am correcting an earlier post I made. Yesterday my welcome back light stayed on for 10+ minutes, that's too long. I also had the door open. In use at CG's I may have also had the door open, can't remember, just know the light was on a long time. Yesterday at the end of the 10 minutes I pressed the door switch with my finger and it - s l o w l y - went out. This is normal and acceptable. I may have been searching for a non-existant problem. Just sharing what happen in case you too have a non-existant problem with the welcome back light. Actually Jim B stated this 2 weeks ago when he posted HL's response from the engineers but I missed it until I re-read the entire thread more closely.

brianharrison

I took a couple of pictures of the Welcome Back Light control module in my 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon. Thought I would post them for others to see, if they are looking for theirs...... Mine was located behind the fire extinguisher beside the door.

As far as I can tell, my switch for manually overriding the feature and turning on the light is wired in parallel with the control module.

DSC03784.jpg

DSC03785.jpg
Take care,
Brian

funntheson

I have the above mentioned problem sometimes when I enter, but I want to leave the door latched open with the screen closed. I have found that if you close the door, then open it back up before latching, you can avoid the light staying on for a long time.

Larry

tssanders

Ok...dumb question yet again, how do I know if I have this feature? I do not have a switch marked isle, I do have an entry switch but have not found a way to make to do anything other than turn the entry light steady on. 2013 3585RL. thanks for the input, this forum has saved my.....well, it's helped me greatly. And yes, I looked in the manual :). Stacy