Flying J now charging $10 dump fee

BozRazor

I've been using Flying J since I bought my truck for fuel and actually plan my trips to where I can use them to and from trips and clean out my tanks before getting home. To my surprise on Saturday the Flyin J in Columbia SC had a sign stating the are now charging a $10 dump fee. I had a discussion with another camper waiting in line and he said he didn't have a problem with the fee, he just wouldn't buy fuel and supplies from them anymore. I know the economy is bad but shouldn't they think that if they charge this fee less people will use there service meaning they probably wont stop and they make less money on fuel and supplies. Just thinkin out loud.....

RollingHome

Rob, Your thinking is dead on... I myself have stopped using Flying J since they filed for bankruptcy because the quality of service and other stuff have gone so far downhill... I think it's time to put a fork fork in em cause they're done...

ct0218

I agree. I quit using them a couple years ago. They change the diesel filters so seldom that sometimes it takes forever to fill your tank. The pumps are out out receipt tape, or it doesn't work, and the card reader may work on the 4th or 5th swipe. I decided that I had better ways to spend my time than getting frustrated at a FJ.

Mariposa

FJ's are going to be Pilot Stations soon. Denny's restaruant will be handling the food part. About service I do not know, but I have had less in a Pilot station then in a fj. (and that hasn't been much) This was based on talking with the mangaer at the FJ station on Hwy 59, in New Caney, Texas. Not far from Houston

What do you guys normally pay for dumping? I used flying J this weekend in CA for the 1st time and it cost me $10. Thought that was the going rate.

Tom of Ypsi

I have never paid to use a dump site but the prices I have seen range from $5-10. I do not find charging for dumping is out of line. The campground, truck stop or rest area has to pay for sewage and someone to clean up after the pigs that abuse the area.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If every RVer stopped using Flying J, it would not put them out of business...we were simply "some icing on the cake"! Their business revolves almost completely around the trucking industry...now if THEY stopped using them they might notice.....

noobee

I have never paid to use a dump site but the prices I have seen range from $5-10. I do not find charging for dumping is out of line. The campground, truck stop or rest area has to pay for sewage and someone to clean up after the pigs that abuse the area.

I agree............

CS

SilverRhino

In all honesty......if I had a business, like a fuel station.......I would NOT even consider having a dump station!

Traveling around the country and watching people use dump facilities in fuel stations, rest areas and even campgrounds....I have been appalled at how inconsiderate and down right filthy some RVer's are! This also goes for those using the portable "honey wagons".

They do not properly hook up to the dump and are not at all concerned about the filth they leave behind! Fortunately, these people are in the minority....but they have a seriously detrimental impact on all of us.

Just my observations.

Travel Safe!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't know why you are bothered about the FJ dumping fee. I dump prior to leaving the RV park and then again upon arrival. I never use publc dumps (well I did only once).

BozRazor

I like to put some clean water in my tanks while traveling home so the agitation helps clean them better, then dump the water. Don't know if it makes a difference but I always seem to get a little more stuff out. I have a tornado installed in my black water tank and use it at the campsite until the water runs clear, even after that I get some more stuff at the fj.

Boca_Shuffles

I think you can get a discount if you use your Flying J card. Another advantage of the using the card is that you can pay at the pump with a credit card without having to go in first for pre-approved.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Back when we had the TT and camped in the state park, dumping and flushing at the park station was a hassle. So, always a quick dump and out. At the end of the season, prior to winterizing, I took it to a small local CG that charged $10 to use their station to really flush it out. Didn't seem unreasonable. You want to play, you got to pay.

ihsolutions

Whenever something goes from being free, to $10, is going to cause some unrest.

I paid the fee a few weeks ago. Note, the fee is only $3 if you are a flying J value member, which is free to join. I did not have my loyalty card with me (I don't carry it, my wallet is already like George Costanza on Seinfeld). They refused to give me the discount, and said they had no way to look me up in the computer or anything. That was frustrating, to say the least. I doubt I'll go back to the J, as the only reason I went there was the Wendy's (which has also gone downhill) and cheap diesel, which is now much higher than competing stations in the area.

Delaine and Lindy

I have never paid to dump. I don't use dump stations, I use the sewer system at RV parks much easier and you can back flush you tanks. Most dump stations I have noticed are not very clean and thats because of some people who use them but not all. As for Flying J since being bought out by Pilot the service has went down and fuel price has went up. I have used Flying J for many years, when driving over the road in a Class 8 Truck. I use the Truck pumps (twin 80 gal tanks) and refueling is finished before you can clean the windsheild.

I don't understand why anyone would think a dump station should be free. Someone has to pay to put the system in and someone has to be paid to clean up the mess thats left at the dump station. As I said I have never used a dump station, I dump before I depart the RV park and its so much cleaner and easier. I guess if your a camper and or boondocking or Wally Docking you would need a dump station?? I don't do no boondocking or Wally Docking. So if you use dump stations you should pay. And if you don't want to use Flying J thats your choice but as KaKamper stated Flying J makes their money off the Trucking industry. By not using Flying your just limiting yourself to use the smaller stations that has less fuel turn over and subject yourself to getting dirty fuel. Again life is a Choice and its your choice. Life is good. GBY....

P.S. Just another day in paradise, Colorado Springs, Colorado until Monday and on to Wyoming.

docburns

I recently stopped at Loves in Hilsboro Texas and they have started charging as well. I saw a credit card reader but couldn't find a price. I wouldn't risk using it not knowing. I went to the Loves on the south freeway in Fort Worth and dumped for free. So then I pulled over and bought fuel.