Do your Pretrip checklists and during trip look overs....PLEASE

BozRazor

I was traveling to Disney World 2 weeks ago and made it to Jacksonville form Columbia SC, I was refueling and happened to look down at my rear wheel. Well there was a 6" crack from one of the spoke to the valve stem. I immediatly took it to the closest Ford dealership and they said it should be ok to drive on to Disney. I got my sharpie out and marked the both ends of the crack. After arriving at Disney I saw that the crack had spread about 1/8" longer on both ends. I ended up having to replace the wheel. This just emphasizes the importance of inspecting these vehicles, I'm a jet mechanic in the Air Force and my wife has accused me more than once of being too particular to the details, I just tell her the is no such thing as being too safe. I watched this weekend as several of my neighbors packed up and left, I only know of one person that checked their tire pressures, and that was me. That is the simple stuff, if their not checking that just think what else they might not check....just my 2 cents

RollingHome

ROB, YOU ARE NOT BEING TOO PARTICULAR ! You are being smart ! Keep doing what you're doing flyboy... Your training is paying off. Dot the eyes & cross the tees... you and your family will live longer - JMO :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Always a good idea to do a full walk-around at every rest stop. Place hands on tires & hubs to check for overheating. Look under the rig and eyeball the hitch, too.

Are you based at Shaw?

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I agree 100% with the pretrip inspections. I just cant believe a FORD dealership let you drive away with a cracked Wheel. Thats a major safety issue whether they THINK it will be ok or not.

POCOHORSE

Troy & Tracy Chaddon
Hey Rob it must be an Air Force thing! I'm an active duty enlisted flyer and hubby is in the Air National Guard in the phase dock for KC-135s and was an active duty flight engineer for 10 years prior to going into the Guard. Hubby has gone to the extent to make his own "pre-departure checklist" to check things like tires, brakes, truck fluids, etc. I even do a walk around truck/trailer everytime I stop when towing my horse trailer. You can't be too careful! We live near I-40/I-35 in Oklahoma and we've seen PLENTY of wrecks with semi trucks and trucks and campers. We don't want to be one of those statistics. Paying attention to the small things can keep you on the road! Keep it up!

SilverRhino

We have always made it a habit to do pre, during and post inspections. Whenever we stop, while the DW uses the facilities I make the circuit around the entire rig, truck and trailer, checking tires, taking temps, checking lights, hitch etc. etc. If we have not had a reason to stop in the past 90 minutes we will find a safe area and pull over to stretch our legs, walk the dogs and do the checks.

Our philosophy is that we purchased a "recreational" vehicle.....so we are never in to big a hurry to stop.......be it for comfort or safety!

Travel Safe!

goodtruck

There is no such thing as being to safe when you are dealing with things that are made by man.Murphy's law anything that can go wrong will go wrong.the only way I have kept a good safety record in trucking is by doing the little things every time I stop.If safety is not a good enough reason to follow simple steps to be safe just think of the cost not only in dollars but life's.well that is my 2 cents

BozRazor

Always a good idea to do a full walk-around at every rest stop. Place hands on tires & hubs to check for overheating. Look under the rig and eyeball the hitch, too.

Are you based at Shaw?
I am actually in the Air Guard at McEntire JNGB about 30 miles from Shaw

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would suggest to not put your hand on the wheel, tires or bearing caps. You could get a severe burn. Better is to buy an infra-red thermometer and use it to check the temps. That is what I do. You can check the tires, wheels, bearings, and even the output of the ac vents to see the air coming out is cold enough. One thing not mentioned in the pre-trip and post trip check is to check the lug nut torque. You would be surprised how many times I have found them loosened up. Safe travels.

JohnDar

I would suggest to not put your hand on the wheel, tires or bearing caps. You could get a severe burn. Better is to buy an infra-red thermometer and use it to check the temps. That is what I do. You can check the tires, wheels, bearings, and even the output of the ac vents to see the air coming out is cold enough. One thing not mentioned in the pre-trip and post trip check is to check the lug nut torque. You would be surprised how many times I have found them loosened up. Safe travels.

I didn't mean to grab it, just approach it with the back of your hand. If it's hot, you'll pull away before you get injured. Works for me (until I get around to buying another toy).

traveler44

I thought I was the only one who marked things with a marking pen. I mark the position of the lug nuts after torqueing them, that way I can tell at a glance if any of them are trying to back off. I use a paint pen and the markings hold up for a long time. KEEP THEM FLYING !! Tom M.

RollingHome

GREAT IDEA, checking wheels and AC with a IR T-mometer ! I'll be doing that :). Where can I easily get a paint stick or pen ? Tom

JohnDar

You might find paint pens at the hardware store, or you might just get the "deer in the headlights" look from the clerk. Usually they have them at art supply stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.