New 2010 F-250 5.4

imchud

I just purchased a 2010 F-250 CC S/D 5.4 with a 8/ft bed... I had a 2005 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 diesel and it pulled my bighorn like it wasn't even there, But it had 255,000 miles on it and it started costing me a lot in repairs... I don't hardly pull the Bighorn anymore, we have been keeping it on a seasonal site and only pull it twice a year, once to put it on site and once to take it off. So i couldn't justify spending the extra $8500.00 up charge for the ford diesel, as it was the new truck cost almost 44 grand... I'm going to pick up the camper and take it in for some repairs this next week, I haven't pulled with the new truck yet and I know I will really miss the power the diesel had, but does anybody pull (on a regular bases) with the 5.4 gas engine??? by the way, what does the "CC" stand for?

Tom

Tom of Ypsi

CC - Crew Cab. I talked to people that have towed with the 5.4 and never found one that was happy towing. Always complained about being underpowered, could not get up the hills and a slow take off.

MC9

I pulled various rigs for 10 yrs with my 2000 5.4 sc sb. You didn't say what rear end you had. I originally had a 3.73 then changed to a 4.10, that helped a lot, tho I lost a little mileage. You have 30 more HP than I had. Couldn't hurt.

imchud

I pulled various rigs for 10 yrs with my 2000 5.4 sc sb. You didn't say what rear end you had. I originally had a 3.73 then changed to a 4.10, that helped a lot, tho I lost a little mileage. You have 30 more HP than I had. Couldn't hurt.

I do have the 4:10 Rear end -- My Coach is about 2000 lbs over what the ford book says it can pull... They say it can tow about 10,000 lbs I fugure mine is about 12,000 lbs -- I know some of those figures published are some what conservative, but i dont plan on towing it much?? The wierd thing is, fords new 2011 F150 is rated to tow at 11,500??? I think they are trying to keep up with the toyota tundra.
A question regarding towing -- when they rate a truck for towing are the figures they use figured towing off the rear bumper? Can you tow more when using a 5th wheel hitch? thanks

Tom

2010augusta

this should help.

tow%20guide.JPG

looks like it is rated for 11,300 or 11,700 depending on 2wd or 4wd.

caissiel

A diesel has everything the heaviest available, brakes, rearend, transmission, radiator.
When keeping the RPM up the engine has more HP and capacity for cooling.
A fellow down the road with a TT bought a 350GM at the same time I bought a 6.5L GM.
We both changed our thermostats at the same time, as we were buying replacements at the same time at the supply store.
When I asked him to look at the Gas Thermostat I noted the small hole in it.
Then I showed him one of my thermostats and he was amased at the difference in size, and I said I have 2 of those.
So I told him that's why I drive a Diesel.
I would rather buy and old Diesel then a new Gas truck.

My friend had a Dodge Gas and he could not do any hills with his truck hauling a 28ft 5th wheel. He had to shift all the time to keep the heat down.

In addition, You always get your money back for the Diesel option.
P.S. I wonder if there will be any value on a 2010, while the Scorpion is going to dominate the truck fleets again.

rvn4fun

Guess since you already purchased the 5.4 it is water under the bridge now. But as said above a used diesel is a better puller then a gasser. But I have friends that have fords V10 gas and have had great results.

ky-newbie

My two cents, as I'm getting ready to probably buy a 2008 5.4. Towing, braking, etc., would definitely be better with the diesel. However, with diesel fuel being at least 40 cents more per gallon than gas (gulp !!!!), and more than that at a few stations here, a diesel won't perform better while waiting for me to find fuel money somewhere. :eek:) Let's see - I can eat or I can buy fuel today, but not both. Hmmmmm

APT

I am not sure why anyone would purposely buy a TV that is not at least rated to tow his weight. Many people recommend towing weight at about 80% of "tow rating". Seriously, is there any way to take this thing back?

Your BH 3385 will weigh a lot closer to 13000 pounds with a dry weight of 11391. That is a lot of weight for a small block gas engine to move. It will do it, slowly. The V10 option in 2010 is about $600 which adds about 60hp and 90lb-ft of torque with the same FE non towing and better while towing. Next, pin weight. That's dry 2090 pounds, loaded probably more like 2500 pounds if you store very little in the basement. Add another 150 pound receiver in the bed and your family and you are probably over the estimated 3000 payload. What does the driver's door/B-pillar sticker say you have for payload?

Assuming you got what you got, a change to 4.56 gears and air bags will help the driving experience.

Ignore the F-150's almost fictitious 11500pound tow rating. That is possible for some models with a driver and towing a flat bed trailer with heavy equipment. Not for a 5-th wheel RV.

APT

However, with diesel fuel being at least 40 cents more per gallon than gas (gulp !!!!), and more than that at a few stations here, a diesel won't perform better while waiting for me to find fuel money somewhere. :eek:) Let's see - I can eat or I can buy fuel today, but not both. Hmmmmm

Most diesels get better fuel economy. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. As much as 25mpg unloaded highway vs. 15mpg for a V8/V10. Towing 10k+ pounds, a gasser will be 6-8 vs. 10-12. So costing more per gallon is still cheaper at 15% fuel cost difference. Obviously, there is the upfront cost of the diesel as well. Going 500 miles will cost less in a diesel vs. a gasser. Filling up a tank costs more, but you can go say 600 miles vs. 500 miles per tank. You need to think in terms of percentages, and it will make more sense.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You are at least 1000lbs over on the pin weight too, yikes. You need at least a 2005- 2010 F-350 V-10.
Your brakes, transmission, and rear end are the same as a F-350 diesel so you should be able to stop. Plan your trips and stay away from any hills.

imchud

Just a quick up-date -- I pulled the Bighorn this last weekend (about 4 hours) and i was supprised on how well it actually did. It sure was a harder pull them my old diesel, but it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. Now keep in mind i didn't drag it up many inclines, it was all pretty flat. But thats why I got the gas, i dont expect to do much pulling during the season, anymore we just keep it on a seasonal site and drag it home in the fall (about 90 miles). If i were doing any real towing then I would have spent the extra 8600.00 for the diesel. but overall the Ford did a pretty good job...

Tom