HWH. When leaving the campground for a few days

Seb

Our new 2011, 3450 is parked permanently in a fantastic camp ground as we dont yet have a big truck to tow it with:mad:, .. When leaving it on Sunday I shut off the hot water heater to prevent issue and increase the life of the heater and on Friday upon arriving I turn it back on, (usually wait 15-30 mins to get hot water which is no big deal) is this recommended or necessary is anyone else does the same on they’re trailer when parked permanently?
Thank you
Sebastien

goodtruck

Our 2010 ER is set up at a annul site.We turn off our water heater when we leave ours just a safety thing.we also turn off the water and the propane leave the elec on with the AC set at 78.

Seb

Right, we turn off water from the tap, propane and HWH, better be safe than sorry, but intresting point about leaving the AC on at 78, as it takes a while to cool off when it's 100 or more! does leaving the AC on at 78 shorten the life of the AC? is this not recommended? Just curious.

goodtruck

With the unit being just 40 miles north of houston,tx the temps the inside or the unit would spoil even canned goods.during the winter everything is off.

Rmcgrath53

That is our routine, to turn water off and hot water tank. We leave the propane on because if and when the power goes out you dont lose your ref items.We came to our site early on when we first bought our rig and found it dripping water out the basement. A leak that someone turned our water off for us because they saw water poring out the bottom. We learned the hard way about water and water tank issues.
Ron

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pretty much our routine, too. Our rig is 200 miles from home, so we'll go up for two weeks and home for 7 - 10 days, then back. I leave the electric on, with the Fantastic Fan set for about 80 deg. I don't leave the A/C on, though. I shut the propane and water heater. too. Only things in the fridge are beer, sodas, water, and condiments when we're not there. I turn off the water at the pedestal, in my filter box, and at the UDC manifold. I also open a faucet inside to relieve internal pressure after turning the water off outside. Retract the main and window awnings, but leave the slides out (toppers).

Seb

I supposed emptying all tanks as well even if they are 1/3 full? Does the fantastic fan have a rain sensor? I would be scared to leave it "ON" at 80 then if it rains while away, we could find a mess on our way back!?

rvn4fun

When we leave our summer work camp, we set the rain sensor fantastic fan at 75 and our air conditioners at 80. We have our two cats and don't want them to get to hot. We are never gone more then 2 days without them. We leave our hot water heater on as we are lucky enough to have a camp owner who doesn't care what our electric bill is.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I supposed emptying all tanks as well even if they are 1/3 full? Does the fantastic fan have a rain sensor? I would be scared to leave it "ON" at 80 then if it rains while away, we could find a mess on our way back!?

Yes, emptying the tanks is part of the departure ritual. As for our Fantastic Fan, I have the large MaxxAir cover on it and the two smaller vents, so rain is not a problem. Don't really care if the rain sensor is there or not. We don't leave our cats alone for more than a few hours during the day if we're out on the lake. I make sure they have good ventilation, or even the A/C, if need be. Our site gets a fair amount of shade during the day, too. So unless it's one of those "dog days", they're usually comfortable.