Generator fuel burn

DC10-FE

Here's a general question for anyone who calculates this. Being an engineer by trade, just wondering if anybody has a rough guess as to the fuel burn rate of the generator. I realize there are many factors involved such as AC on or off, how much electrical is running in the coach, etc, etc. I'm just wondering what the average fuel burn is per hour of operation. Thanks in advance for any ball park figures.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It also will depend on the brand and size of the generator as well as the load. I have a 7.5 kw Generac portable I use at home for emergencies and go through 5 gallons about every 9=10 hours with the RV AC running and 2 refrigerators running. That was during and after Hurricanes Rita and Ike.

beasleyrl

If you are using the standard Onan that is packaged with the Cyclone, I typically estimate slightly more than 1/2 gallon per hour. Running both AC's, it is a little more - maybe 3/4 gallon.

Northern Virginia
Definitely depends on the size of the generator (watts) and the wattage being used. We have a 6500 watt gasoline Onan that like beasleyrl said, burns between 1/2 - 3/4 gallons per hour depending on the load (3/4 gal/hour with both a/c's and electric water on)

John

DC10-FE

Thanks guys. I guess I should have included what I was running, my bad. I have the 5.5 Onan with one AC unit on the Cyclone 3010. I also have an Honda EU 2000 (had 2 running in parallel until I toasted the inverter on one of them). That little puppy would run 8 hours on a one gallon tank on my old trailer without the AC, plus it was quiet as all get out. It was so quiet that I could actually hear the wife talking with it running. hmmm, I'm already seeing some benefits to this gen. now. ;-)

Detmer

I have a Cyclone 3210 with one A/C unit and the Onan 5500. I burn probably a little less than 1/2 gal per hour.

cms

Bumping a old topic. So is it safe to assume that if I was running one AC in transit (Onan 5500) or when I'm not at camp that the Gen. would burn on average 1/2 to 3/4 gallon per hour?

Thanks

beasleyrl

...is it safe to assume that if I was running one AC in transit (Onan 5500) or when I'm not at camp that the Gen. would burn on average 1/2 to 3/4 gallon per hour?
That has been my experience with ours.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Last trip out I finally found out how far a 30gal gas tank will last. 5500 Onan in my 300c. She ran 40hrs on 30 gallons and ran out of gas. The fuel Gauge showed empty for the last 12hrs or so. I do have two A/C's but I only ran the front one at night. So maybe 14hrs to 16hrs of that run time was with both A/C's. Water Heater and Fridge were running on LP. No washer or Drier.

wdk450

If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy just 1 Honda 2000, and go to a park with electric service if it was so hot I had to use the air conditioning. The Eu2000 is VERY quiet, a gas sipper, and is enough to run your biggest single electrical load outside of the air conditioner (the microwave). It is big enough for your convertor to charge your batteries along with your TV/Computer needs. Water heating and refrigerator are probably cheaper and easier on propane. Keep in mind that $4 gasoline makes for expensive electricity, but boy do we like to have our electric goodies.