Q about wiring Progressive 50 amp EMS

beardedone

Beardedone
I purchased one of these a couple of months ago and jus went to wire it in and I have a couple of questions. I found two large "D" ring things with a hole in the centre and v ery poor instructions about what to do with them. Does anyone know what they are for? Thanks:confused:

2010augusta

picture please. I can tell you how to do it but I don't know if you are referring to the amp meters or the stress preventing clamps to hold the wires coming in and out of the unit.

beardedone

Beardedone
I can't supply any photos. Just drove into town to use internet. These things are wired into one of the circuit boards. They are about 1 1/4 tall and 3/8" thick, shaped like a capital "D". One has a piece of green tape on it. They are just hanging on the end of the wires and no attachment point. Sorry I couldn't supply photo.
Gerry

DXprowler

The D rings are current sensors and are very important! They are colour coded and each go around 2 wires respectively. From the instructions: "Insert the Black wire thru the current sensor with the green tape on it. Insert the Red wire thru the other current sensor." I agree the instructions are a bit of a study but they are correct. Here's a link to the instructions if you need them online: http://www.viprv.com/ems/HW50COperation_InstallPDF.pdf

Also take your time with it! The 50 Amp cable takes a lot of persuading and even more so when you get to the current sensors!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The definitely take some persuading and patience. So does the ground wire. It helps a bit if you pre-bend the ends of the wires to get them into the connectors. Before you mount it, select a spot where it won't be hit by water should a leak occur and leave some slack in the cables.

I mounted both my surge suppressor and converter to a piece of plywood secured to the framing for the steps so they're out of harm's way if there is a leak.

View attachment 9021

boatdoc

I 2nd John's statement about getting the electrical parts UP off the floor. I did as he did and it's very easy to do with no cable splices. There was enough cable to move them over to the stair framing.

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks for the replies. I re-read the instructions after the respoonses and see what I missed. I promise not to ask any more q's without reading 3 or 4 times! I bought extra wire to ensure that I can put it where ever I want, especially away from water. Thanks for the replies.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I moved my suppressor, I did have to use extra wire. Reason was the original install was by the dealer and they put it under the kitchen counter behind the breaker panel and not much excess wire between them. Don't know why, it was a major pain it the lower parts to get it out of there. Could not have been much easier getting it IN there. But I still have some left over 6/3 NM W/G cable from wiring up a 50A subpanel in the garage at home, so I didn't have a problem getting it positioned where I wanted it. I did have to buy a few feet of 6 gage wire to move the converter, though.

All in all, not a real expensive mod, but definitely an uncomfortable one.