ramp door framimg

rnewk52

I am considering moving the spare tire from under the trailer to the exterior of the ramp door. Does anyone know what kind of structure or framing is inside the door? I did this modification on my previous toy hauler (not heartland) and it worked great because there was square tubing framework in the ramp door. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, this looks like something the Factory might be best to get a reply from. I can't imagine, due to the weight capacity of the loading door, that it won't work. It may just be best to get it straight from the horses mouth. Best to be on the safe side with a new rig. Other forum members can still read and respond to your question.

gpshemi

I've been thinking about taking mine down and moving the cable lift to one side to add an additional tire down there. I carry two spares. This would make the spares closer to the edge of the unit also. Should make lowering them ALOT easier.

I'm also going to put it back under the unit closer to the rear tires so that I have far more clearance in the back. I normally drag the tire before the rear jacks. Although removing the 4" tubing under the jacks would gain me even more. I may do that as well.

Consider that before moving it to the rear door.

Mike Aplin

I have not heard of anyone doing this but you would need to contact not only Heartland RV's customer service before any modifications are made to your unit and you should probably give LCI components a call since they are the mfg. of the rear ramp door. Thanks, Mike