Sundance 3200ES 5th Wheel Landing Gear Failure

Redcoat1

I just took my Sundance to my local dealer to have its Annual Safety Inspection done. I received a call from the dealer informing me that they had a couple of problems, #1. the shackle bushings are all worn and the bolts are rubbing on shackles, all of the shackle bushings need to be replaced, and # 2. the front landing gear had just failed and the trailer had collapsed almost to the shop floor. Upon further inspection by the dealer it was discovered that the landing gear weld to the frame on one side had broken away from the frame. When the one side weld broke it put all of the weight of the trailer on the one landing gear and that also broke away and let the landing gear collapse.
This was a poor weld according to the welder who examined the broken weld. It's a good thing that no one was standing under the front of the trailer or injuries would of certainly resulted. I am now wondering what other welds are poor on the entire unit.

Is there any sort of warranty for failed welding on the frame ?? This is now going to cost me mega money to fix a defective weld from the factory that caused damage to the landing gear.
This unit has less than 5000 miles on it and has never been mistreated.
The rv dealer has taken pictures of the weld break that can be provided to Heartland if they are interested.

Any suggestions or ideas ?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I just took my Sundance to my local dealer to have its Annual Safety Inspection done. I received a call from the dealer informing me that they had a couple of problems, #1. the shackle bushings are all worn and the bolts are rubbing on shackles, all of the shackle bushings need to be replaced, and # 2. the front landing gear had just failed and the trailer had collapsed almost to the shop floor. Upon further inspection by the dealer it was discovered that the landing gear weld to the frame on one side had broken away from the frame. When the one side weld broke it put all of the weight of the trailer on the one landing gear and that also broke away and let the landing gear collapse.
This was a poor weld according to the welder who examined the broken weld. It's a good thing that no one was standing under the front of the trailer or injuries would of certainly resulted. I am now wondering what other welds are poor on the entire unit.

Is there any sort of warranty for failed welding on the frame ?? This is now going to cost me mega money to fix a defective weld from the factory that caused damage to the landing gear.
The rv dealer has taken pictures of the weld break that can be provided to Heartland if they are interested.

I assume you mean the landing gear bracket broke away from the front frame. The landing gear itself is held in place by two bolts and a detent on the frame assembly. The landing gear is easily removed from the frame by removing the two bolts.

Although your rig is four model years old, I would give Heartland Customer Service a call just to let them know what happened, followed up by a call to Lippert, the frame manufacturer. Couldn't hurt anything, and remember - you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. The phone numbers are on the portal page of the forum.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Gus in that the landing gear is held in by two clamps, and resting on a block welded to the frame. From the work that you said the dealer performed, makes me wonder if the trailer was jacked up with the landing gear down. That would put unwanted stress on one landing gear. ???
In regards to the shackle bushings, that is normal wear and tear. They are only nylon bushings. You might think about having the dealer install grease able wet bolts with bronze bushings. should cost around $150-$200.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, very good point. If I were the OP, I would make a bee line to the dealer and look at the weld myself. There will be rust at and in the break. If the weld is clean...no rust...I bet what you said is what happened. I did jack my Horn up once and only once with it unhooked from the TV. Right landing gear was about 6" off the ground......filled my shorts....and let in back down. I had just put 7K # on the left landing gear and the top of the leg was leaning out at the top. P.S. I did change my shorts later.

Redcoat1

I have attached the photos showing the new metal breaks and weld breaks to the landing gear. Heartland was contacted and showed no concern and I was advised to contact Lippert which I have done. I am awaiting a call back from Lippert once they view the photos but I am not very hopeful that they will stand behind their workmanship.

Attachments

• Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 90
  • Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 81

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just a thought for those that have front landing gear cracks and bends. FYI many repair shops and most manufacturers move RVs around using a forklift. When they move them they do not raise the landing gear legs. When they set them down, if the forklift is still moving oftentimes the landing gear will drag. It is possible for the landing gear to be bent of cracked. When our LM was new it had a cracked housing on the right front landing gear which would only have been caused from that practice. MORAL - When getting your RV out of the shop be sure to inspect the landing gear area for any damage that might have occured while in the shop. BTW I have personally seen this type of damage happen.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wayne, those rips and tears look pretty fresh. I dont see alot of rust in the breaks. Let me say this again. Broken welds and broke metal will have rust in them at the breaks. There was alot of stress put on that landing gear before it broke.

Samiel

I am a new user to this, but I wanted to let you know that we had the same thing happen to our Sundance. We baught our 2900mk, pulled it to the site, was unhooking it from the truck and the strut welds gave out. Looked like someone pealed it like a banana! We had owned the camper 30 minutes, pulled it 22 miles and out! Took the dealer 1 month to get it fixed. They did cover the cost. You are not alone, crazy or dealing with a rust problem.