Landing Gear Fuse Blowing

mesteve

Several times now, we have arrived at our campsite only to find the fuse on our landing gear has blow while in transit, leaving us to manually crank the landing gear down. Not a choice sequence of events on a brand new trailer. There is a 30 amp fuse installed and works fine while operating the landing gear, but is popping while going down the road for some reason.

Day 1 - popped, driving in rain all day long, had to reverse and manuver at CG and into site.

Day 2 - dry all day, worked midway thru day as I had to unhook at one point, had not reveresed yet, reveresed into site, found popped when tried using landing gear.

The only coorelation is reversing that I can find, but I don't see how that would affect the landing gear circuit as it is pretty much standalone from what I can tell (batt -> switch -> motor -> batt) and should not be affected by a reverse signal or brake lights.

Any ideas?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The fuse will blow if the gear is retracted all the way. Try stopping about an inch short of full retraction. I marked this spot with a sharpie and haven't had any problems since starting this practice.

mesteve

Good to know, that may be a common to both occurances as I know we did bottom out a few times the first couple of go-arounds.

On a side, is the motor supposed to be securely mounted or free-floating?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The motor does free-float. It is only hanging on the gear box. Some of us have used plumbers pipe hanging strap attached to the ceiling and wrapped around the motor for some support.
This stuff can be found at any store that sells plumbing stuff. Ace, Home Depot etc.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Also, because the motor "free-floats", be sure to periodically check the screws holding together the cross shaft for the landing legs. They can work loose under torque. Having had a couple of these break, I carry spares.