Axle weight rating reduce

Dennist

atving and camping...
Anybody else got the new label in accordance to the National Traffic and Motor Safety Act for their Cyclone? It reduces the weight rating on each axle by 80lbs thus reducing the weight in your garage by 360lbs.... the weight of a 250cc ATV.... We are at 15,500 lbs loaded no liquid on our axles. Yup I know its heavy but I drive truck for a living and its just another day in paradise! This does not seem right.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I understood that the capcity of the storage area is 2500lbs. I remember this from when we were looking at a new unit. I would presume that if the manufacture has spec'ed at a certain weight then they would have to get that spec approved by DOT. On our last trailer (SOB) we had tire problems and I blamed the manufacture. They said that DOT approved the axels for the trailer so they were in spec. I raised a big stink and put on better tires. The following year the same manufacture advertized (for the same trailer"New for 2008 8000lb axels. It was 2007 that I took them to task. By the way, that manufaurer is not there anymore.

go for the sticker that gives you the capcity, I would think.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Anybody else got the new label in accordance to the National Traffic and Motor Safety Act for their Cyclone? It reduces the weight rating on each axle by 80lbs thus reducing the weight in your garage by 360lbs.... the weight of a 250cc ATV.... We are at 15,500 lbs loaded no liquid on our axles. Yup I know its heavy but I drive truck for a living and its just another day in paradise! This does not seem right.
Dennist....isnt the axle rating only reduced because of the tire rating? Check your 15" factory wheel PSI max.(stamped on the inside of the wheel) to see if a 80# 2830lbs E rated Maxxis tire will work.
http://www.gripston.com/search?q=225/75/15#TL15710000

Dennist

atving and camping...
Yup its because of the wrong rated tire on the axle. 16" tires and rims would be the fix. PM for more info.

MrBill

I decided to get 16" rims and load range E tires but wanted to be sure there was room for them on my Cyclone before I ordered them. I emailed HL customer service and provided the year, make, model and VIN of my Cyclone and asked if I could switch to 16" rims and 235/85R16 tires, specifically asking about clearance between the tires. I got an answer that yes, I could use that rim and tire. I ordered the rims and tires but when my local tire dealer tried mounting them on the hubs they were too tall. I had about 1/2 inch clearance between tires and 1/2 inch between tires and fender skirt. My dealer will order another tire for my 16" rims that he said will fit and still give me the weight carrying capacity that I need. He will take back the ones that didn't fit.
Just don't rely on advice you get from HL, make your own measurements before buying new tires. I told my local RV dealer about this and he said that when HL switched to 16" rims they must have increased the spacing between the axles. I would like to hear from someone that has a new Cyclone. What is your axle rating? What size rim and tire do you have? How far apart are your axles spaced? My dealer doesn't have any Cyclones on the lot now so I can't get that info myself.

MrBill

I put Sendel T03 rims on and I got 245/75R16 tires that look like they fit and they take 80 psi so I pump them up and hopefully these will wear better than the 225/75R15 that I took off.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
The previous post was deleted because it violated Forum Rule #10, which states "Posts are not allowed in which a local or state consumer action board and/or legal consul is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits."

rideblue

My 225/75-15's were wearing strangely on the front and rear axles. I thought I had an alignment problem. Tires on front axle wore out after about 5000 miles or less. I kept putting off getting the alignment checked because the nearest shop is 200miles away. Came time for my next trip and had to do something. I had been contemplating moving up to 16 inch wheels just because my 15 inch load range D just didn't give me peace of mind. Plus the side torgue I've seen when making turns made me cringe! I took the plunge and slapped down the bucks for 16 inch wheels and LT tires, same size as what came on the rig 225/75. Perfect fit, looks great, not nearly as much side torgue, better pull. This rig should have come with 16" wheel/tires, load range E. In fact my sticker on the hitch has always said wheel size was supposed to be 16" but then when it lists the tires it says 225/75-15. I've always been confused and felt shortchanged about that.

Attachments

• new trailer wheels 002.JPG
    new trailer wheels 002.JPG
    519.5 KB · Views: 34
  • new trailer wheels 003.JPG
    new trailer wheels 003.JPG
    565 KB · Views: 27
  • new trailer wheels 004.JPG
    new trailer wheels 004.JPG
    517.8 KB · Views: 27
  • new trailer wheels 005.JPG
    new trailer wheels 005.JPG
    594.5 KB · Views: 26

MrBill

gpshemi,
I did post the information you wanted but as I feared I see the moderator has deleted it. PM me if you want to know what I have done.

MrBill

rideblue,
That's about the same change as I made to mine except I went with 245's instead of 225's. Did you ever have the alignment checked? I wore out tires on 5000 miles also and I had front and rear axles bent. The shop said it appeared I made a too sharp of a turn as the right front and left rear axles were bent opposite. HL advertises that these units can turn at 88 degree angle; not without possible damage to the axles though.

rideblue

Never did have the alignment checked. Did my first trip since new combo put on. 1000 miles and absolutely no wear. With the old set I could see a noticeable amount of wear after 1000 miles. I'm just going to keep an eye on it for now. Got another trip coming up. Probably only about 500 miles.

lwmcguir

rideblue,
That's about the same change as I made to mine except I went with 245's instead of 225's. Did you ever have the alignment checked? I wore out tires on 5000 miles also and I had front and rear axles bent. The shop said it appeared I made a too sharp of a turn as the right front and left rear axles were bent opposite. HL advertises that these units can turn at 88 degree angle; not without possible damage to the axles though.

Great point. Make a 90 on pavement and go visit the spring/alignment shop next. Better be on gravel when doing the sharp turns.

My 225/75-15's were wearing strangely on the front and rear axles. I thought I had an alignment problem. Tires on front axle wore out after about 5000 miles or less. I kept putting off getting the alignment checked because the nearest shop is 200miles away. Came time for my next trip and had to do something. I had been contemplating moving up to 16 inch wheels just because my 15 inch load range D just didn't give me peace of mind. Plus the side torgue I've seen when making turns made me cringe! I took the plunge and slapped down the bucks for 16 inch wheels and LT tires, same size as what came on the rig 225/75. Perfect fit, looks great, not nearly as much side torgue, better pull. This rig should have come with 16" wheel/tires, load range E. In fact my sticker on the hitch has always said wheel size was supposed to be 16" but then when it lists the tires it says 225/75-15. I've always been confused and felt shortchanged about that.

Rims and tires look good. Were did you end up buying your rims and tires from? I'm wanting to do the same thing before I have bigger issues.

rideblue

Just all the info seen on this forum and the rv.net forum. Alot of guys will go with Michelins after converting to 16's. That is alot of money! I know safety is first and money should be no object but I didn't feel I needed to go that big, so to speak. It seems as the LT tires don't have as much sidewall flex on them. They just sit on the ground way better. But that is going by my old tires. Maybe the 16 inch ST tire would be the same.

Anybody else get weight reduced letters cause of the 15" wheels & tires that were used? Still saving my pennies to get new rims and tires to support the weight of the trailer.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just all the info seen on this forum and the rv.net forum. Alot of guys will go with Michelins after converting to 16's. That is alot of money! I know safety is first and money should be no object but I didn't feel I needed to go that big, so to speak. It seems as the LT tires don't have as much sidewall flex on them. They just sit on the ground way better.

I changed to Michelin XPS Ribs as soon as I drove my trailer off the dealers lot. If you don't mind paying anywhere from $1,500 to 2,500 for trailer repair plus towing, new tires and los of time to have fun. Get the cheapest tire you feel good about. Pay now or pay later. I find it cheaper in the long run to use the best item for my money.

BTW.. ST tires have a speed rating of 65mph. When included, you are always going to push the limits of the tire with weight, heat and speed.

That's what I do...
BC