2010 3950 - Water leaking into drivers side compartment toolbox?

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
2010 3950 - Water leaking into drivers side compartment toolbox?

I have a problem with water leaking into this toolbox compartment, I sealed the door and UDC seams, at a loss as to where the water keeps coming from. It only seem to leak when it rains heavy?? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I am very worried about it rotting the wood and mold.

Thanks!
Brad

gpshemi

I actually have this issue as well to some degree. I've noticed my UDC doesn't go all the way up to the front of the hatch though. There's about a 1/2" gap. So even though I ran some caulk around it, it's only on three sides.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Brad, can you clarify when the leak accures. Is it when driving in the rain or when parked.

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
Yes , indeed there is a gap? However, I am not sure that this is where the water is coming from. Could it be dripping down from the top? My compartment is soaked again today after a night of hard rain.

gpshemi

Please let me know what you find out. My DS tool chest and ODS tray was wet when I just looked. Perhaps we have the same issue.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Heres my suggestion. Take all the stuff out of the basement. Get a flash lite...crawl in from the opposite side. Have someone run a small flow of water from a hose...starting at the top and slowly work your way across the upper door frame. With the flash lite you should be able to see where the water intrustion is. It might go all around the frame and enter from the bottom. Water leaks are tough to find sometimes.

You can try this method. Do the same thing as above...but at night. Have someone use the flash lite outside like the water hose. You should see light where this is an openning to let water in. JMHO

porthole

Retired
I am pretty sure I figured out where the water is coming in for our trailer, same issue , only the ODS tool box, and I was starting to get mold in it.

I think it is water coming in from the between the two round access covers. Stick your hand in there and feel around forward, you will find the carpeted box goes down to the aluminum "J-Wrapping". The carpet is wicking the water up into the toolbox. Mine gets water in it mostly from me when hooking up hoses or flushing th tank etc. Until I make a dam and seal off the area I have gotten into the habit of emptying the compartment and propping up the diamond plate to let it dry out.

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
Great advice on the leak test, I am going to try this ASAP. I have re-sealed everything in sight.

Duane - I was just looking at this today and thought the same thing, the carpet actually rests on the aluminum facia, zero air gap. I think I am going to design and add a plastic dam and caulk around to prevent any water from tracking back towards the carpet. Thanks for sharing!

Any other people experiencing this problem?
Heartland??

olcoon

My Elkridge leaks in the passenger side door. Dealer said they tightened the latches, but it still leaks. I haven't driven it in the rain yet, & it just does it after a hard rain. Did the trick of being inside & hosing down the door area. Only had a small leak in the area of the latches. Possibly these were caused from water pressure filling up the latch area in the frame & going up into the latch then into the basement. My neighbor was watching the show & came over with his $.02 worth. He is retired from the airline industry & thought possibly the water could be weeping around the threads of the screws, as this has happened on airplanes. He suggested using R.T.V. sealant on the screws..back them out 1/4" use a cotton swab & put some on the threads & screw it back in. Some of the screws in it weren't all the way down, and it seemed to be wetter in that area. Haven't tried it yet, but will soon.

shagan77

Had same problem on my new 2011 3950 HD. Wound up being the Shower stall was leaking and running down from inside. Dealer corrected leaking stall and put in 2 small 2-inch vents in the tool box. Solved the problem.

Riverman

Soooo Duane,
Have you managed to rectify this issue?
I forgot about this til now - right after I found my rusty pliers in the toolbox

gpshemi

After seeing Duane's I did the same thing at the end of last year. It's a good thing too, since this year I was filling up, not paying attention, and water came spewing out of the vent line. It filled the docking station before I could get back to it. Water came out from the end near the slide, but the box remains dry now. A good quick fix.

Dennist

atving and camping...
Check to see if you have weep holes drilled in the bottom of the doors! The doors (some) were designed to allow water to flow through them top to bottom. We had a rig that had holes in the top none in the bottom... poured all the way to Florida. Thus the doors filled up and the water came in with the least amount of resistance. Got up in N Florida and it was a site to see our slide going in and out while going down the 75! The water wicked to the carpet under the bed (we did not step in wetness..) where the slide control sat and shorted out thus the slide having a hay day. With 2 alternators 3 batterys to supply it I could weld with the arcs on the side of the road! It was brand new!!! A fire started and I finally got a pair of side cuts to depower the thing. (factory bought it back)

smiller

My 2011 Cyclone 3950HD leaks in the tool box also. I noticed the box was wet prior to our first trip. When I took delivery of the unit it was raining on the way home. I noticed the box was damp when I found the mold starting to grow while it was in storage. I had finally got it to dry up when we took our first trip with it to Florida. Of course we drove through heavy rain while passing through NC. When we got to FL the bottom of the tool box was soaked and even the bottom of the box on the opposite side was damp too. I think the water is coming up from the bottom which is not sealed. My shower stall drain which was not tightened was also leaking, but none of that water reached the tool box because I caught it early. When I called Heartland to report the problem and get warranty approval to do the shower repair the representive I spoke to said he never heard of the problem with the tool box leaking. Has anyone else discussed this problem with Heartland? It definitely sounds like a recall is needed for this problem. I was considering taking the box out and having an aluminum box fabricated in its place but I'm waiting until after I take to back to the dealer first.

jimtoo

Hi smiller,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure someone will jump in with some help soon. I think I heard about that box getting wet on a unit a while back, but not something a "recall" would be needed for.

I did delete your previous post as it was starting the same about the leak.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit. Keep us informed as to the status of your problem.

Jim M

skidoo3

We have a 2011 3950 cyclone and have a problem with water in the toolbox. The dealer has "fixed" it twice now with water and mold still in it. We now are out of warrarty and are stuck with this problem.

jimtoo

Hi skidoo3,

Welcome to the forum and family... I see you have been around, just not active. We are here to help if we can.

If this is a continuing problem, and you have contacted your dealer, I would call the factory and in a nice way ask for help. Be sure you have your VIN and purchase date and any other information you may need.

Let us know how it goes.

Jim M