Looking at new hitches - help

gpshemi

I know everyone has a different view on sliders. I like my Pullrite 16k (3300) hitch, but it sure is noisey. It clunks and creeks alot, and PullRite hasn't been a huge help with any of that. I finally made all new pins for it to take up some of the designed in slop. That's helped some. We need to get at least an 18k for our new Cyclone 3612. I was considering another Superglide (18k 4400), but additionally I'd like to ease some of the chucking we feel. So now I'm not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

RollingHome

GPSHENI, I feel a little wrong offering this so let me state the facts. I purchased a 3670RL from HL in Nov. 2009 (it's a 2011... go figure). I also bought a 18K Pull Rite and a Trail air pin box. I yanked it home with a 3/4 ton Chebbie and life was good... Then I asked too many questions. On the trip home everything was fine... Others convinced me "IF" I had an accident I would be skewered... They were correct. So I fixed it. I bought a Hensley TS3 air hitch and 1 ton TV and I now have a Trailair pin box and 18K Pull-Rite I need to get rid of. It sounds like a perfect fit for you. With only 500 miles on it it's still new. I will sell it at a loss but I don't want to take a bath. Hit me back if you're interested. Tom

GETnBYE

Hello GPSHEMI,
I got lots of good info from this post a while back.
Nita
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/9008-Vote-Yea-or-Nea....Slider-Hitch!!?highlight=

Thank you both for the reply.

I read on another forum that you don't need a slider, but with my 16k there are times I come very close. Too close for me to feel comfortable. I suggest two things. Either a Megacab is an odd bed/cab design, or off-angle turns make it closer then most people see. In any event, I'd like some peace of mind.

As it turns out, since posting, I found an 18k PullRite with what appears to be little use on Craigslist and spun a deal for $800. I'll sell my 16k and have little invested in the upgrade. I already had the mounts and capture plate for it of course.

So it appears all I need is something to help with chucking - which I've always had with my trailers to some degree. Less with the Cyclone I'd say though. Not sure if Trail Air is what I want/need, or if a Mor-Ryde is a better idea.

pineguy

We went with the 5th Airborne. Have not used the trailaire or the morryde, but the 5th airborne has taken out the real hard bumps and most of the chucking. I pulled our 3850 for 1200 miles with the standard pin box with our daully and that made up my mind to get something different. Very happy with the 5th airborne and the bonus is that the white cowl still fits over it for a nice finished look.

We also airbagged the truck which helped alot with the ride.

MC9

I can cast a vote for the MOR-RYDE. It worked for me better than advertised. A lot cheaper too.

Dave012

There was a good thread a while back on mor-ryde vs 5th Airborne from someone who had experienced both, and in their view 5th Airborne was the clear winner.

I haven't used either, but I don't get any chucking caused by my Reese 18k hitch. Its a real solid set-up. I've haven't had to use the slider yet.

DSCF3514.jpg