King Pin Upgrades

PSF513

I am planning to take my BH 3610 to Denver, PA for installation of a Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box by Lippert. Has anyone tried this and, if so, how has it worked? It has to make a difference in the ride given how rough the rouds are here in VA.

PSF513

Well, the TriGlide Air Ride install went well. It certainly made a difference in the ride (although, at least here in Tidewater, VA, the roads are so bad that even this upgrade can only do so much. The Lippert guys in Denver, PA seemed to have done a good job despite the fact that they have not worked on an RV in 3 years (all the manufacturers closed shop). They do mostly mobile homes now.

RollingHome

Comon, Pete, We Pennsylvanians pride our self on our lousey rotten roads, are you trying compete and tell us your VA. roads are worse ? Comon back up here I want to take you out to breakfast ! You just weren't on the right test track to jar your teeth out of your head. 200,000 truckers can't be wrong ! We been voted worst roads in the country 6 years running... We really do have the worst roads in the nation trust me ! We work hard at being the worst...

PSF513

Next time we camp up thatta way, I'll let you know so you can take us to the proper test locations.

THanks

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Comon, Pete, We Pennsylvanians pride our self on our lousey rotten roads, are you trying compete and tell us your VA. roads are worse ? Comon back up here I want to take you out to breakfast ! You just weren't on the right test track to jar your teeth out of your head. 200,000 truckers can't be wrong ! We been voted st roads in the country 6 years running... We really do have the worst roads in the nation trust me ! We work hard at being the worst...

Obviously SC was not invited to that contest or we would have won-hands down.

porthole

Retired
Comon, Pete, We Pennsylvanians pride our self on our lousey rotten roads, are you trying compete and tell us your VA. roads are worse ? Comon back up here I want to take you out to breakfast ! You just weren't on the right test track to jar your teeth out of your head. 200,000 truckers can't be wrong ! We been voted worst roads in the country 6 years running... We really do have the worst roads in the nation trust me ! We work hard at being the worst...

Guess you haven't been through the 5 boroughs of NYC yet..........................

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Pete, Can you share why you chose Tri glide??
Did you look at any other options?

Knowing you, I know you did a lot of research before buying and I sure would like to hear your opinions.
Thanks.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I can atest to PA having the worst roads in the country. We lived in Maryland most of our lives, and then went fulltime 5 years ago. We've traveled roads in many of the lower 48...and YES, PA is still the worst!!

Amazingly, our little state of MD has probably the best. Owned property in VA for more than twenty years, and found their roads to be in pretty good shape...not as good as MD, but nowhere near as bad as PA....JMHO...

sdagro

Hi Pete,

I would love to hear your reply on your research on the Tri-Glide. Louisiana/Southern Miss. highways & Interstates have got to be in the hunt as well.
Pete, Can you share why you chose Tri-glide??
Did you look at any other options?

Knowing you, I know you did a lot of research before buying and I sure would like to hear your opinions.
Thanks.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Don't leave North Mississippi highways off your list. 78 east of Tupelo is sad.

cjbearden

Visitor
You need to check out east bound I-30 coming into Benton, AR and pretty much all of I-30 south of Benton, AR. Another route on our list is I-10 from AZ to Kerrville, TX. The trip from Terre Haute to Elkhart was a real bone jarrer. Any more, just about any route we take we think the same thing. You just have to buckle up, pad up with pillows and pain meds and keep on trucking!

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
I just got finished installing my new tri glide. The proceedure went so fast I hardly had time to take pictures. The people at TrailAir were super helpful helping me select the correct unit. It came in a couple of days by UPS. Hard part was helping UPS guy get it out of truck, pretty heavy. The instructions are very simple. Only took about 45 min to install first unit, attach second unit to it and torque all hardware. The hard part was fixing the extra space left by factory cut, that was originally covered by pinbox cover installed by factory. The cover has to be removed to use Trailair. I went to home depot and purchased some 2 in aluminum stock 1/8 in thick. I filled in the "gap" by covering it with the trim aluminum and attaching it to frame with self taping screws. I think it came out very well. I was only able to take it for a quick spin to check ride. I will update ride soon. I will attempt to add pics to this post

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
To finish post, I'll attach pictures of gap, I forgot on first post. I added four extra bolts due to more available holes in trailair unit. And I'll paint bolt heads and washers to complete the install.

IMG_2499.JPG

PSF513

I really bought the TriGlide because of the price we got for registering for the national rally in Nashville. Thus far, I have been satisfied. I agree with Duane that the chucking reduction could be better but it is far better than having the original king pin setup.

porthole

Retired
Compared to the Mor/ryde - for chucking the Mor/ryde is much better. And when you hit the stops it is a soft bump, not harsh like the TriGLide.

porthole

Retired
Well after another 500 mile trip I think I would ** correction ** NOT be comfortable recommending the Tri Glide to someone with a trailer near the rated capacity of the pin box.

Chucking can be rather harsh when it happens, especially on concrete bridge expansions. To the point where you cringe while hitting the joints.

And I found I have to use the boost feature in stop and go traffic (Dover yesterday) and adjust the gain to keep from having the pin box hammering when coming to a stop.

I am using level 2 on the boost (brake controller) and have the gain set to apply trailer brakes over truck brakes. The extra drag on the trailer helps keeps the Tri glide toward the rear and not slamming forward.

I don't like it and will most likely either look to changing it out to an air ride only or putting the Mor/ryde pin box back on.

Last edited:

kidkaboom1

I just installed the Tri-Glide on my 3950. What a difference. About 90% of the chucking issue has been eliminated. Kinda have to expect to feel something back there.