Spring break in Iowa – A Lippert Production

lhetsler

IMG_1861.jpgAfter reading dozens of stories about shoddy springs, it happened to me in Ankeny Iowa. The spring just fell apart. I found two leafs on the highway, they were not broken but the center bolt had fallen out and the U shaped bracket was bent open. The U bolts did not break. I have a 08 Bighorn with 10,000 miles on it. The spring just fell apart. I have a beautiful coach from the floor up but a foundation built on sand. The number of premature spring failures indicates a defective product on the part of Lippert components. There is just no other way to explain it.

This month last year I had both axles replaced under warranty. I told them the springs looked flat to me. But, no they had a normal arc, right. Less than three thousand miles later and one falls apart.

The right rear spring allowed the axle to move back shredding the tire on the slide rails. The inside of the left tire went into the shock and ripped a deep groove in the sidewall. So two new tires at $379 each. I decided it would be dumb not to replace all the springs at $74 dollars each, plus a $150 overnight shipping.

I had read so many stories on this site and was very careful to check for 65lbs torque on the U bolts and check the tires before each trip and it still happened.

Luckily I was only going about 35 mph when it happened. It was as if someone slammed on the brakes. I immediate steered over off the side of the road which was sandy soil allowing the tires to slide and came to a stop in about a hundred feet.

I have posted over two hundred times on this site and have been supportive of Heartland, but I have to be honest and say they have a responsibility to make sure their coaches ride on a safe frame and suspension. I hope they are listening and are doing something about this. I hope someone doesn’t have to die. Had I been traveling at highway speed I may not be here to tell this story and some other driver may have eating my axle for lunch.

Thankfully Progressive Insurance Roadside Service paid for the tow which must have cost a few hundred. It took three hours to jack the rig up and chain the axle to the frame and tow it limping to an RV dealer.

I went to a spring shop and bought my own springs, a 7 leaf 3450lbs to replace what they said was a 2900lb spring (the 6 leaf that it came with). The 3670 has 7000 lb axle upgrade., but was riding on 6000 lb springs. The new springs have an arch like the old ones never had and give me an xtra 1000lbs per axle. The bighorn ride about an 1 1/2 higher.

We are all fixed up for $2100. On to Colorado and enjoying camping again.

Finally got around to uploading a picture of the spring that broke. It has the now becoming familiar W shape. It just bent.

Last edited:

Willym

Les,

Do you know if the U bolt torques have ever been checked on your trailer? If you lost leaves, and they did not break it sounds like the spring pack became loose. I happened to check mine (a brand new rig) today and found that two U bolts were under-torqued. One of the U bolts was not actually seated correctly, i.e. it was not perpendicular to the axle. Thus if the bolt slipped towards the proper position, it would loosen up considerably. I was able to tap it over and re-torque it. Lippert recommends 65lb ft on the U bolts.

lhetsler

Yes, I had to repost because part of it was cut off. But anyway as I said in my post I always check the torque before each trip. It was 65lbs and everything appeared to be in good shape.

Paul & Nan

Sorry, we have had RV's for years, never had to check U bolts--Ours were, per 3 spring shops, #3000 springs, on #7000 axels. Do not care, the springs were under rated for the axels. It cost us 4 Goodyear G614 tires plus the new springs and the labor. Thank God it was nothing more. Our rig rides better, no more open cupboards and drawers, nothing flies off the shelves when we open doors. Clearly we were supplied with crap from the get go. No one really wants to accept responsibility, OH WELL. Word of mouth for Lippert goes a long way as we all have found. NUF said. We are happy campers again. Nan

esbeasley

When I had problems with my suspension I tried working with Heartland and Lippert. Their fix ? Here is one shock for the one we didn't connect. SO I went and had the MorRyde IS installed. Then sent Heartland and Lippert pictures of the bent shocks, short axle, worn out center pivot bolt (9,000 miles on it) and cut tire again afrter they were off the coach. Their response has been no response.

lwmcguir

If your springs are flat or wavy you better change them out to the next size heavier or a better suspension. Way to much of this.