Kitter Litter Tray and advice for fur baby in BC2950RK

ChangingPlaces

Hi

We are from NZ and collect our 2950RK in July and early next year go fulltime.
Muffin is nearly 9 years old and is not really fussed on the trip to the vet, which is all of 5 minutes away, let alone a new home and truck!
We plan to have her in her cage and take a lots of small trips in the truck and extend these over time, so she becomes used to the back seat when travelling.
Have read to cover the cage when travelling to calm her down. Will try that.
We are lucky that our tempratures are not as extreme as yours in the US, although we will have to watch Summer in the truck if stopping for a while. May need to transfer her to the Unit then as the dual pane glazing will help keep the heat out.
We intend to transfer her to BC by cage every time as do not want to risk losing her.

My questions are:-
Suggestions for location and type of litter box.
The one we have is in our bedroom here at home is just a tray but not used much
as she has free access to the great outdoors.
Harness and Lead - recommedations please.
Have purchased a small dog harness and lead as it appeared easier to use as only one clip and her arms go through and then it clips shut on her back and then the lead can attach from there. But not sure if this is the best option, as not a "cat" one.
She has worn it around the house a few times and is okay with the harness after a while but not the lead... Will have to work on that if she wants to go outside in the future!
Worries - I worry about losing her and her not being happy in the RV.
Big change for all of us, but think Paul and I can cope, but we really want Muffin to enjoy this new adventure too. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks all, have waffled on enough. Love the forum and all the advice.
Paul is on the forum reading for hours and gleening new information all the time.
Cheers Amanda & Paul :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've got two cats that we take up to our rig 3 hours away. We put them in their carriers and set them on the floor of the back seat area (seats fold up). They haven't had a litter problem with that, but the only stops we make are for a rest room break for us about half way there. They don't act starved, dehydrated, or dying for the litter box when we get there. I'll either leave the truck run with the A/C on or open the windows, depending on the temps. One of us stays with them while the other "takes care of business."

They do make harnesses for cats and they do need to be sized to the cat. Not too loose, not too tight. Usually based on the weight of the cat. Harnesses are much preferred over collars for cats, if you're going to put them on a leash. Don't know if there's really any difference between a dog and a cat harness, other than the packaging, though. Maybe the weight and strength of material?

We transfer them from truck to trailer in their carriers. Once inside, we're careful about opening the door. Just crack it enough to check if they're behind it and use a hand or bag, or whatever to lightly brush them back if they're too close. Just in case, I had collars made for both of them with their names, the word "LOST", and my cell phone number embroidered on them. They're strictly indoor cats at home and at the trailer, so they don't readily charge the door when it's opened, but may be standing there to "greet" you. Leave it open too long, though, and it does look like an invitation to join you outside.

My cats have claws, so on some of the larger screen windows in the trailer I put a small wood stick in the track so they can't accidently pull the screen open if a critter outside gets their attention. Usually, they'll sit on the back of the sofa or recliner (or the desk) and stare at the hummingbird feeders we set up.

On the road, they whine a bit, but quiet down after a while. Rather than try to console them, just ignore them and they usually stop. May get vocal if the road gets rough, though. I added extra pillow padding to the carriers for their comfort.

View attachment 9078
View attachment 9081
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Howdy ChangingPlaces. I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions, so here are mine.
Our situation was a bit different and all cats are very different. They pretty much do what they want.
When we first got our Bighorn, we would take him out there every couple of days and each time spend a little more time out there.
Then we spent the night out there with him. We won the battle on that one.
He never did like to ride and hated being in a carrier. So we put the back seat down in the truck and put food and water and a litter box back there. He didn't eat or drink, but he did use the box. Always have some baggies handy cause when they go, you will want to wrap it as soon as you can. That truck cab is mighty small for atomic size odor.
We never did put him in a cage. He just laid on a blanket on the console between us. He did complain for about an hour, but then gave up on that as well. Patience is key here.
My wife did put a harness on him just in case, but unlike your cat, ours never left the house. So running off was not a real concern. I did ask her and she said that the harness she bought was specifically for a cat. Not a doggie harness.
One other thing is that every time we took him to the truck he would barf. We knew it would happen so we were always prepared for that as well.
I did see one woman in south Texas that had her cat on a leash. The cat would climb trees and chase squirrels. Worked for her.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For some reason, getting photos into posts has become a chore. Some want to just go into the text, others end up as attached thumbnails. Strange.

On trips to the vet or to the BH, neither of these two have barfed or dumped in their carriers. We have had cats that did the moment you got halfway to the vet. Hoo-boy, howdy, that makes for a gag-a-maggot ride. At least the stool sample was guaranteed fresh.