Caulking around windows

We have a 2011 267 Sundance. We love it but, one thing I don't understand is why
at the factory they did not caulk around the whole window. We went out for the 1st.
time 2 weeks ago. Of course it rained some. The back window were the kitchen is located
started to leak. Not a lot but some. When we got home and I inspected it i found that only the top half is chalked. Matter of fact they are all this way. I went around and finished their job at the factory didn't have enough time to finish. Just thought I would let your
Q.C. inspector know to look for.

Thank you for your time

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: chalking around windows

MTsundance, All windows on every RV manufactured in the country are only caulked across the top and partially down the sides. The windows are set in the frame using a foam gasket. The caulk on the top is so that water does not collect in this seal and begin mildew. The sides and bottom are not caulked so to allow for water run off and drainage from the windows vents on the bottom. If you have a leak, it could be from several places includung a blocked drain at the bottom of the window. This would cause water to build up in the windows frame and run into the RV. I suggest you at least open up those drain holes. If your window continues to leak, get back to your dealer to have it resolved. In the meantime, check out the windows on other rigs on their lot. Heaartland didn't forget to caulk.

tmcran

MT I would suggest that you remove the caulk from the bottom of the windows if you caulked them as per the reasons Ray gave. Are the leaks at the top of the window or from the bottom? It is hard to tell at times . I would have someone run some water over the window and from the inside see if you can find where the leak begins.Also this should be covered under your warranty. Good luck

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Maybe I can get a recommendation regarding this...I have a few windows in our new BC that do not sit flush against the exterior wall. Seems they are not square and one or two corners are up to a 1/4 inch away from the wall. No leaks yet but it does worry me! Can I at least seal down the sides of the leading edge so water is not forced in while traveling down the highway without creating a problem?

PS: The biggest offending window is the big one where the dining table is...this window does not have the little vents in the bottom of the frame.

Last edited:

tmcran

SJH If the windows are 1/4 inch away from the outside wall this needs to be corrected IMO. The windows may not have been pulled up tight when installed. I see you have 2011 and I would get this to the dealer and let him check it out. All my windows are pulled up tight to the out side wall.

Thanks for the info. maybe I jumped the gun. I did stop and looked at the other sundances on the dealers lot. You were right.
I just finished taking all the chalking off I put on. The dealer did fix the leak. I have to say we really enjoy rving with are new sundance.