Circuit Tester / Problem?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
So far we have taken our trailer (2011 / 21fbs) camping 3 times to campgrounds with full hook ups. I have tested the source with a plug in tester (ideal #61-500) and have had no problems. Today I decided to test the generators and their ability to run a 15k A/C in the heat of a nice hot Texas day. I hooked up my 2 Honda 2000 generators in parallel, fired them up and turned on the A/C, everything worked fine and the trailer got nice and cool as anticipated...
Now, out of the blue ( I don't know why I even contemplated it but) I plug the tester into the 110 outlets in the trailer (which I have never done before) and I get a reading that the hot and the neutral are reversed.
Would this indicate that the trailer is not wired properly?

Rickhansen

Yes. potentially (no pun). The problem could be with your generator, wiring of your transfer switch, or only that one outlet. It is certainly alerting you of a problem. It bears some more troubleshooting and investigation.

Northern Virginia
You need to troubleshoot this in a logical path that starts a the top.

• Find a known good source of shore power
  • When plugged into shore power, do you have this problem?
  • Check the generator output.(each one)
  • Check generator output when paralleled
  • Check the panel wiring
  • Check other receptacles in the coach
Like Rick said, it could only be the one receptacle you checked with your tester. Here are a couple of pics to make sure you are testing them right.

Good luck, John

20amp_receptacle.jpgduplex_receptacle.jpg

Jimmyt5

A simple three light receptacle tester will always show a ground problem when plugged into a Honda generator, i.e. mine indicates an open ground.

Page 17 of the EU2000i manual states "Honda portable generators have a system ground that connects generator frame components to the ground terminals in the AC output receptacles. The system ground is not connected to the AC neutral wire. If the generator is tested by a receptacle tester it will not show the same ground circuit condition as for a home receptacle."

Not sure if this is your problem,there is a lot about this on Honda websights.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmyt5 is correct saying that the portable Gennys will show an open ground. I have a Progressive EMS and with my two Kippors paralleled together, I needed to jumper the ground to the neutral in the box that holds the 30amp receptacle. Without doing that the EMS would not allow power to flow through, showing an open ground.

Peace
Dave

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Well, get this, I have a defective tester. Recruited my brother in-law (retired electrical engineer) and we tested his tester and my tester on his generator and his trailer then conducted the same test on my generators and trailer. His tester showed an open ground (as it should), mine keeps showing hot and neutral reversed.
Will take tester back to Lowes and exchange for a new one and start the test again. Thanks all for the info.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Update.... I got a new tester (same brand and model from Lowes) and guess what? It gives the same error code of hot and neutral reversed. I borrowed a tester from my neighbor (his is a harbor freight brand) and his showed an open ground as it should. Seems the ideal testers are consistant in giving faulty results. Now I will take 2 testers back to Lowes for a refund and buy another brand elsewhere.

beardedone

Beardedone
Jimmyt5 is correct saying that the portable Gennys will show an open ground. I have a Progressive EMS and with my two Kippors paralleled together, I needed to jumper the ground to the neutral in the box that holds the 30amp receptacle. Without doing that the EMS would not allow power to flow through, showing an open ground.

Peace
Dave

Could you give me a little more detail on how to do this. I just installed the Progressive unit in my Landmark and I do sometimes use a generator so I guess I better learn to deal with that. If it matters I only use a Champion 3500. thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Could you give me a little more detail on how to do this. I just installed the Progressive unit in my Landmark and I do sometimes use a generator so I guess I better learn to deal with that. If it matters I only use a Champion 3500. thanks.
Gerry, I don't know if what I did is unsafe, illegal or immoral, but it did work for me. I re-read my first post and it pretty much tells what I did. Now don't take this the wrong way, but if you didn't understand that, I would feel bad telling you how to fool your EMS. If you don't know about electricity it's best left alone.
Having said that, this is what I would do to my genny. If my genny was a 3500 watt unit, it would have a 30 amp receptacle on it. The receptacle would be in a box. In that box will be three wires going to the receptacle. One white one which is neutral, one black one which is hot and one green one which is ground. I would take a piece of number 12 wire and connect the white (neutral) to the green (ground) connections at the receptacle.
That would fool my EMS and allow everything to work.
I don't recommend anyone doing this. This is only what I would do. :)
Good luck.

Peace
Dave

RollingHome

Bret, Please consider contacting Ideal and let them know what happened (address on web). You just may save some electricians life. Getting 2 testers with the same characteristic tells me they goofed and have a serious problem. You (me and others) reporting this type thing will/could lead to a recall. I've seen quite a few types of electrical test equipment over the years recalled by reputable manufacturers for the same type reasons. Speak with your brother inlaw, I'm sure he will concur.

Tom