Slide-out Awnings

flameon

Been thinking of putting slide-out awnings on my 3850, to keep top of slide from gathering debrie, and was told that they would be more of a pain because when it's windy it will keep you awake with all the flapping they will do:confused:. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

goodtruck

We have them on our ER 34QRSL (4 Slides) if it is really windy they all flap but the one on the bedroom slider is the one you hear when you go to bed.It takes a little time to get used to it but we don't even hear it anymore.They not only keep the top of the sliders cleaner but when it it really hot and sunny out they help to keep the unit cooler.I personally like them and to me the good outweighs the the bad.

jnbhobe

I have had them on every unit I had with slides. Only one time have I had them flap and that was in May at the East Coast Rally. Was bad enough that I pulled the bedroom slide part way in at night to stop the noise. That said I would never be without slide-out toppers

PSF513

Another way, other than pulling in youer slides, is to carry a couple blow up rafts and some rope. Blow one up, tie the rope to it, put it on top of your slide and under the awning, and tie the rope off. It will save you from listening to all that noise.

porthole

Retired
Have them and wouldn't be without them. We were two trailers over from Patti and Jon (jnphobe) and didn't have any flapping that I could hear.

rvn4fun

Just a note on this, this weekend we followed a motorhome on our way to Larimie Wyoming, we weren't in our rv as winds were 60 plus. The motorhome slide toppers were trying to blow over the roof at every gust of the wind, when the driver saw this he would hit his brakes. He was traveling about 38 mph. Could not believe how many rv's were traveling in these conditions. AS for us we wouldn't install them, don't need the noise or the sagging in the rain ect.

RollingHome

Flameon, We have 4 slides and they all have toppers ! What noise ? We camp on the shore and the wind is constant and sometimes terriffic. I carry mouth inflatable beach balls to stop the flapping, "IF" I need them. So far, I haven't. The slider over the LV is the longest and it collects water and flaps. I haven't heard it while sleeping so it don't matter. We sleep at night peacfully and are not botthered by flapping toppers... I'd say, get them and fix any (if any) problems as they occur. I also can give you multiple reasons why you should get them. If you want to be bored with these reasons, hit me back. Tom

Never had a flopping noise issue on the slideout awnings... regarding sagging from the rain, we only get this on the large slide awning (1 0f 3). I made up some supports from 1/2" plumbing PCB that fits under the awnings. They provide a better slope on the rain to run off.

CS

ChopperBill

Have always had toppers. Flapping never did bother me. Most of the time it isnt that bad. All in all its better than sliding a roof in full of bird poop and pine needles.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am getting too old to be climbing around trying to clean the roof of the slideouts, therefore the slide toppers are the way to go. Yeah they make a little noise in strong winds but that is better than falling off a ladder.

jnbhobe

The factory uses A&E I think the Carefree look better but I don't know how they work compared to A&E and they work good for me

Wharton

Just a note on this, this weekend we followed a motorhome on our way to Larimie Wyoming, we weren't in our rv as winds were 60 plus. The motorhome slide toppers were trying to blow over the roof at every gust of the wind, when the driver saw this he would hit his brakes. He was traveling about 38 mph. Could not believe how many rv's were traveling in these conditions. AS for us we wouldn't install them, don't need the noise or the sagging in the rain ect.

We have had slide out toppers for 10 years on our old rig and never had a problem going down the highway. I think there was something else wrong with this guys rig that he needed to get fixed ASAP.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If the slide toppers are adjusted properly and are working correctly they will not flop going down the road. The slide toppers will roll up with the slides when you put the slides in. We have always had them and would not be without them. Just like anything else you have to be sure they are properly maintained by being sure they are properly attached and adjusted. The only thing we have had to do is once one came out of the attachment slot at the end and it had to be put back in the slot. An diy fix which was an easy fix.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Another reason we like slide toppers...they provide a "shade/air gap" between the top of the slide and the sun...really helps to keep things cooler inside the rig...especially the kitchen slide with the fridge in it!!

porthole

Retired
For some reason the toppers on our trailer seem a little long compared to most trailers I have looked at. They extend past the slide 6-8 inches. I like that, makes a nice overhang over the slide and really minimizes "stuff" getting under the cover.

Last edited: