Anti-lock brakes

Last weekend we parked next to a Bighorn and the owner had a nice Ford PU dually to pull it with. He was telling me that Ford installed the trailer brake controller and that it worked in conjunction with the trailer. So far so good. But, then he tells me that the anti-lock brakes on the Pick-up also makes the trailer brakes anti-lock.
Is this true?
I've never heard of anti-lock brakes in a 5th before??

Bill B. Michigan)

jpmorgan37

I have a Ford with the factory installed brake controller and the truck has antilock brakes. The trailer brakes are unaffected by this. No, the trailer brakes are not antilock. Mine is an early version 2005 and I can't lock the trailer brakes at slow speed. The later 2005 and up, you can lock the trailer brakes at slow speed or when sitting still.
John

Loco

JP is right

My wifes truck is a 2006 F-350 Drw with factory brake controller. The unit works good. But it does know how hard I push on the brake pedal. You can see it in the meter. The trailer brakes brake very even with the truck. But they are not anti lock at all. The controller just works with the ford brake system. Ford told me that it does know when to put the trailer brakes on hard if the truck is braking hard. I did have to do a panic stop about 2 weeks ago coming up I- 85. We were running about 75 mph, came over a hill and all and I mean all traffic was stopped. I hit the brakes hard real hard. The truck started down shiftting and the trailer brakes came on hard. But never lock up. We went from 75 to 0 in no time. Thank God. I like the ford controller. Our rigs is about 24420 lbs loaded truck and all. I have ours set on 9.5 for our heavy load.

creeper

Yes that is true.

The Ford Tow command system ties into the Anti lock braking system.

IT will pulse your trailer brakes if you get into an anti lock braking situation. In essence making your trailer have anti lock brakes. That's why you can't add the Brake controller afterwards. Too many parts to have it function with the anti lock brakes.

I have it on my 2006 F250 and tested it on a dirt road. It works well.

"Ford's available TowCommand™ System still includes the industry's first factory installed and warranted electronic trailer brake controller, offering smoother operation and safety features. This includes a special trailer brake strategy for when the truck's anti-lock braking system detects poor traction. No aftermarket trailer brake controller can provide this."

nhunter

The Ford unit will decrease voltage to the trailer only if the trucks antilock brake system is activated, thus reducing the chances of the trailer locking up.