Bedding upgrade?

dalspot

We are soon to order our first Heartland. I'd like to know what everyone thinks of the standard mattress? How comfortable is it really?

Anyone order the pillow top mattress or totally replace it? A few folks on a general RV group have mentioned a memory foam mattress.

Thanks!

Congrats on the new Heartland. Can't tell you how the mattress sleeps heard that the standard mattress was the pits so when we got ours ditched the one that came with the unit and put a real good one in it.The only problem is the weight the lifting struts are not strong enough to hold up the bed to get to the storage under it.It takes both of us one to hold up the mattress the other to get what we need. But we sleep really great.

We replace the standard mattress as soon as we got our SD XLT 265RK with a foam mattress from Bed-in-Box ($400). We selected a short queen (60"x75") which gave us 5" more floor space at the end of the bed (since both of us are 5'9"). The standard mattress was BAD. I don't know that even a 3" foam topper would help.

On our current Bighrorn, we use the standard mattress. We added a three inch memory foam topper like Jnphobe did, but that was a little too much for us. We now have a one inch memory foam on it and like it that way.
Depending on which Heartland product line you get, the pillow top memory foam mattress may be standard.
Everybody has different likes in a mattress, so only you can say which is the best for you.

Peace
Dave

like most others, we tried the memory foam topper for a while. We found that the mattress pad and sheets didn't stay where we wanted them. We took the big leap for a Select Comfort Camper King from Camping World. We're full time so it made sense for us to spend the money.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
DalSpot
We kept our original mattress for a couple of years. It was a spring mattress and we looked at putting a foam topper on it, but as time went by the mattress kept getting worse. Here is a post I made in another thread. You might read this thread and see if there are others to help you answer your question.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/16623-3300RLB-mattress?p=129200&viewfull=1#post129200

BC

We are soon to order our first Heartland. I'd like to know what everyone thinks of the standard mattress? How comfortable is it really?

Anyone order the pillow top mattress or totally replace it? A few folks on a general RV group have mentioned a memory foam mattress.

Thanks!

I went to foam memory in just a few months. I sleep on my side and was "bottoming out" on the right and left hip.
The memory foam is wonderful!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
like most others, we tried the memory foam topper for a while. We found that the mattress pad and sheets didn't stay where we wanted them. We took the big leap for a Select Comfort Camper King from Camping World. We're full time so it made sense for us to spend the money.

We just got one about a month ago!! What a difference....

PSF513

Our 11 Bighorn came with a pillow top mattress and it is great. We had a standard one with memory foam in our Big Country and it was far better than the standard matress alone.

dieselsweetheart

I have to say that you will know what to do after you sleep on the mattress for one night. When we got our BH we ran right out and bought a 3" topper and had been ok with that. Then we got a sleep number for our house and put our old mattress in the camper. Now we're very comfortable! My sister-in-law bought another sleep number for her 5th wheel...so whatever works for you!!

caissiel

We sleeped in our new trailer for 1 week and I had a sore back for 6 days.
So one day I got mad and modified the King size bed frame to fit a queen size matress.
Went to sears and bought an idividual coils mattress and been happy ever since.
The other day the wife found her side to stif, so I told her to try my side that I wore in because I am heavier.
So we rotated the mattress and now she is happy. And me I have a brand new side to break in again.

Its a world of difference with the additional space in our bedroom now with the 60" bed compared to 72" bed.

dalspot

Right you are Mike! We have two actually, one male who is 12 and the other is 10 year old female.

For most part I like my unit but the bedding in my 11 Sundance 2900MK is bad it has been replaced once with a new mattress, and this one is not much better. Get a 2" or more topper and this will help a lot.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
We put a 3" memory foam topper on ours and it is great. Just make sure you investigate memory foam as they are not all alike. The difference is in the density and cost. The old adage is you get what you pay for. That being said, it is worth it to pay a little more and get a good quality foam. Preferebly memory foam that is made in the USA!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We sleep on a Tempurpedic at home and a 4" memory foam in our 34QSRL. We really cannot tell much difference and sleep great in both. I agree with Invizatu that the quality of the foam is key.

Wharton

For tose of you who have a Sleep Number(Slect Comfort):

Do you need to leave the air out as you up and down the mountains and the air pressure changes?

Rickhansen

The original standard mattress was garbage. We have a California King Sized Tempurpedic. This mattress is much better, although overpriced. It also is VERY heavy (~250 lbs.) which can be of big concern in an RV. Being memory foam, if you get into bed when the mattress is cold, it is like sleeping on a rock until you get it warmed up.