Tow vehicle

4ever

We currently own a Bighorn 3410 RE and have a F250 Super duty / diesel. We are serious considering a Landmark Grand Canyon. Have some concerns regarding the tow vehicle. After reviewing many posts I notice that may of you have Landmark's with dry weight in the 12,000 plus range and GVWR of 16,000 or plus. You also have from F250/2500 to F350/3500 dually. However, when I check the towing capacities of these vehicles they are in the maximum 15,300 to 15,900 range.

I am considering also moving up to F350/3500 dually however, it appears that I will only increase my towing capacity 300 to 500 lbs.

What weights are your rigs and what are you towing then with?

Ted

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Ted, I just went through all that for myself however I am not considering pulling a Landmark. But if I was, for me and this is just my opinion, I would take a look at the F450 or F550.
Totally different animal than the 3500s or F350s.

branson4020

Icantre Member
When pulling one of these larger fivers, the number your are likely to exceed first, and by the largest margin, is you tow vehicles GVWR. The pin weights on these beasts can easily be 3500-4000 lbs. That, and increased stability, is the main reason for considering a dually. Most any modern diesel pickup has plenty of pulling power and IMHO, the GCW is less of an issue.

K

karykatz

GVWR is what the Frame and Axels are rated to hold. If the dry weight is 12,000 lbs and the GVWR is 16,000 lbs, the coach is rated to hold another 4,000 lbs. Towing is based on what your truck is rated. Add dry weight + any personal belongings and Water and Waste

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ted, the 2011 1 TN (3500) Chevy/GMC is rated to pull a 21K 5er. Has a GCVW of 27500. Not sure what the new 1 TN Ford rating is.

skh

I've been pulling a 2011 Grand Canyon with a 2010 single tired 6.4 F350 and it is fine, am probably just over 2000 miles now since May. Also have a F550 dually but it really isn't necessary for the Landmark as it pulls easy for what you've got there. We had a 40' King of the Road we pulled with an F350 dually and eventually went to a KW T600 as it was a load for the F350. The single tires are nice for running around empty otherwise would prob. go back to a dually.

noobee

My 2008 Dodge 3500 dually with a 4.10 rear end has a Maximum Trailer Weight of 16,450lbs.... enough to haul the unit that you are considering. The GVWR is 12,200 & the payload is 4780.

CS

Bighurt

Ted, the 2011 1 TN (3500) Chevy/GMC is rated to pull a 21K 5er. Has a GCVW of 27500. Not sure what the new 1 TN Ford rating is.

F350 SRW 4x2 reg cab = 16500
F350 DRW 4x2 reg cab = 21600
F350 SRW 4x4 reg cab = 16100
F350 DRW 4x4 reg cab = 21100
F350 SRW 4x2 Super cab = 16400
F350 DRW 4x2 Super cab = 21100
F350 SRW 4x4 Super cab = 16100
F350 DRW 4x4 Super cab = 20500
F350 SRW 4x2 Crew cab = 16000
F350 DRW 4x2 Crew cab = 20800
F350 SRW 4x4 Crew cab = 15800
F350 DRW 4x4 Crew cab = 20300

F450 = 24400

:D

4ever

Well I bit the bullet and purchased a 2011 F350 Dually. This will certainly provide me with ample towing capacity. Won't have to worry about livving on the edge. The new truck is sweet. Really like this new engine. Does not sound at all like a diesel. Anyway, thanks all of you for your input.

Ted

Delaine and Lindy

With our Truck we don't have to worry about weight at all, and we don't have to worry abou Trailer brakes not working, the Freightliner can handle the additional load. We do have Disk Brakes on the 5th wheel. We have owned several Trucks and pulled heavy Trailers. One of our 5th wheels and Truck GM 3500HD the gross weight was 25600 lbs. We were over the Trucks rating most of the time. Its my opinion thru experience that any 5th wheel over 34' you should have a DRW Truck. Yes I know there are hundreds pulling with SRW Trucks every day. Seen hundreds of them just on this trip. But in most cases they are over pin weight and Gross weight. I have seen many Trucks and RV's being weight at Rallys every SRW Truck was over on pin weight but in many cases the DRW trucks were over in Gross weight only. The average of being over in pin weight or gross weight is better than 50 percent. But its a choice you have to make. I also believe you can have to much Trailer but never to much Truck. From my reseach so for the new GM 3500HD's are well worth waiting for. GM has another winner, the Duramax/Allison is a proven combo, the additional frame and suspensions is a plus and was all that was needed to have a awesome Truck to tow heavy 5th wheels. GBY....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
With our Truck we don't have to worry about weight at all, and we don't have to worry abou Trailer brakes not working, the Freightliner can handle the additional load. We do have Disk Brakes on the 5th wheel. We have owned several Trucks and pulled heavy Trailers. One of our 5th wheels and Truck GM 3500HD the gross weight was 25600 lbs. We were over the Trucks rating most of the time. Its my opinion thru experience that any 5th wheel over 34' you should have a DRW Truck. Yes I know there are hundreds pulling with SRW Trucks every day. Seen hundreds of them just on this trip. But in most cases they are over pin weight and Gross weight. I have seen many Trucks and RV's being weight at Rallys every SRW Truck was over on pin weight but in many cases the DRW trucks were over in Gross weight only. The average of being over in pin weight or gross weight is better than 50 percent. But its a choice you have to make. I also believe you can have to much Trailer but never to much Truck. From my reseach so for the new GM 3500HD's are well worth waiting for. GM has another winner, the Duramax/Allison is a proven combo, the additional frame and suspensions is a plus and was all that was needed to have a awesome Truck to tow heavy 5th wheels. GBY....

Gosh I guess you outdid us again with your Freightliner and Mobile Suites. I am happy that you are happy.

skh

Ted,
What are you getting for mileage with the 2011? Heard the urea burners are doing well. I get about 9 1/2 mpg with the Grand Canyon (depending, of course) and about 18 running empty, but always pretty hard with the 2010 F350. I pulled a 40' MacDon flexhead (tricycle trailer, no wait on the truck), it's a header for a combine, and it dropped down below 6 mpg! I'd take a Ford over about anything any day though as far as pickups go and we've had a lot. We've got a 2010 Dodge too just to try it and a favor to a guy and all my husband ever says if he does get in my pickup is "that Dodge sure isn't a Ford".

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Well I bit the bullet and purchased a 2011 F350 Dually. This will certainly provide me with ample towing capacity. Won't have to worry about livving on the edge. The new truck is sweet. Really like this new engine. Does not sound at all like a diesel. Anyway, thanks all of you for your input.

Ted
I think you bought the right truck!, try to post some photos if you get a chance.

4ever

Regarding the fuel mileage, it is to early to tell. Just picked up the truck a couple of weeks ago and have not even pulled the trailer yet. Ford claims that the mileage is better then the previous engine. I think they claim about 18% better fuel economy. We will see once the engine is broken in.