towing a ATV behind the Bighorn

alicia

Hello you 5th wheel experts. We have no experience the the area of towing another vehicle behind our 5th wheel. We are not concerned about weight as we pull the 5th wheel with at 2006 GMC 3/4 ton diesel w/duramax. is it possible to have a hitch attached to the back of the 5th wheel so we could tow a trailer with a four wheeler or Mule?

Gaffer

Contact Dale (dbarnard). Click on the community link above and then member list. He was camped next to me at the Oregon Rally. He has really cool set up for his quads that attaches to his Bighorn. Perhaps he will post some pictures. I was going to snap some of his hitch and trailer at the rally but didn't.

HI Alicia,

Thank you for your post. I did delete the duplicate post in the Ask The Factory forum as the forum does not allow duplicate posts.

There are a fair amount of Heartland product owners out there pulling small trailers with golf carts, motorcycles, ATVs etc.

Heartland and our frame supplier Lippert spefically warn against pulling any sort of trailer with our product. Welding or otherwise attaching any sort of hitch to your Heartland RV will void your frame warranty.

Jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Alicia, strike 2 could also be that a lot states will not let you triple tow. It is very hard to impossible to back up a short trailer behind a 5er.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Alicia - we are in a state that allows double (also called triple by some) and yes we had the dealer install a hitch on our Big Country. We pull our golf cart within the state without any problems. Like above post the states to the east of us do not allow double pulls unless you have a commercial license (which we don't) so we don't head that way with the rigs. Double check with your state and surrounding states to see if you can do it.

Attachments

• DSCN0305.jpg
    DSCN0305.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 106

Bighurt

HI Alicia,

Thank you for your post. I did delete the duplicate post in the Ask The Factory forum as the forum does not allow duplicate posts.

There are a fair amount of Heartland product owners out there pulling small trailers with golf carts, motorcycles, ATVs etc.

Heartland and our frame supplier Lippert spefically warn against pulling any sort of trailer with our product. Welding or otherwise attaching any sort of hitch to your Heartland RV will void your frame warranty.

Jim

There has been a slew of posts on this topic since I joined and I imagine its a routine question.

However I have two curiosities.

One what is the length of warranty on the frame?

And two what is Lippert's motivation on dis allowing a second towed item attached to the frame. I can understand liability, but was this even tested and the simple fact that they can't control what is towed as a second unit. Thus eliminate the question by making all second trailer towing a warranty void?

I personally think the added weight of an additional unit puts stress on the Lippert's frame members beyond there designed limits.

I for one would like to see a unit designed for tandem towing...but hey that's just me. Once I upgrade to the cyclone I'll have to have a second TV for the wifes boat or Horse trailer anyways.

airedale

dont know how anyone else feels, but lippert scares me in their quickness to void warantee if .......
you pull a swivel wheel or have a goose adapter with a built in shock absorber......doesnt make me real comfy......

ChopperBill

We doubled towed two ATV's behind our old 3055 but when we got the new rig I didnt put a hitch on it. The 3610 at 39 feet was just a tad too much for me. Our summer site is only 140 miles away so I bring up the ATV's (Polaris RZR and 800 Sportsman) the following trip. Toy haulers may be OK for some but we didnt want to stay in a "garage" all summer.