And We Ordered A 3055RL

Mels Musty Music

Like Jay & Debbie we completed our order late today only its for a 3055RL. We will be traveling to Michigan in the next couple of weeks to bring her home. Spent alot of time reading the posts here and thank everybody for the information that is being shared - especially DennisZ and Jim.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Congrats to the new soon to be owners, you will love the floorplan. We are extremely pleased with ours so far and know you will be also. We are going to a dog show next weekend and will see how our dual pane windows and furnace works.:) Happy Travels!
Ken

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Congratulations on your purchase. We picked our new 3055 up this past Tues. and took it out for a couple of nights. All went well and not many issues, we sure do like the new unit.../Doug

Mels Musty Music

3055RL Is Home

Just returned from Muskegon, MI where I picked up our new Bighorn 3055RL at Lakeshore RV. Was a long trip (4,800 miles roundtrip) but worth every toll I had to pay in Illinois and then some. I had been planning on visiting my sister in Minnesota anyway so it worked out fine.

Spent 2 days and 3 nights on Lakeshores lot which was ample time for the PDI. Had a fairly long list of minor adjustments and Mike took care of them all. Only major issue was the missing vacuum system. Lakeshore managed to round one up and did a great job of installing it.

So far my only problem is the bathroom door. Was open every time I stopped for the day on my trip home. It latches tightly but must be enough flex in the walls to let it unlatch. Not a big deal.

Real problem was weather – single digit temperatures and snow. Spent an extra day in Miles City, MT waiting for the ice to melt on I90. Took advantage of the delay to get a Hunter digital thermostat at Walmart and install it. Much better temp control than the original equipment.

I want to thank everybody who contributes their experiences and opinions on this forum. Was extremely helpful in making our purchasing decision. Special thanks to DennisZ for pointing me towards Lakeshore RV and sharing his thoughts with me. Adam and John at Lakeshore RV are a pleasure to deal with and I advise anybody contemplating an RV purchase to include them for pricing considerations. I know that service may be a problem in the future but after a conversation with a Heartland representative I feel confident they will work with me should the need arise.

Hank

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Mels Musty Music
Let us know a little more about the T stat change out. Which model "hunter" did you use. How does it work? Let us know, I was thinking about upgrading.

J

jjjelm

Congratulations...we also boughta Big Horn 3055RL from Lakeshore and are VERY happy...we have been on the road nearly 6 weeks with no problems...now in warm and wonderful Mesqite, Nevada (75 degrees).

Mels Musty Music

dieselengineer
I got a Hunter Model # 42999B at Walmart for $19.95. Used this same one on a Montana and it worked well. You can set the temp span to 1,2 or 3 degrees. Upside is you have a much more even heat than with the Duo-therm. Downside is your furnace/AC will cycle on/off more frequently. Also it only has one fan setting. You can install a seperate switch to get both Hi and Low speeds. Haven't done that yet as I needed to get the heat back on the day I installed it.
Here is a link to where I learned about it.
http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedreamer2004/therm_upgrade.html
Hope this helps.

jjjelm
We envy you. Won't be able to head south till late January. Haven't heard of Mesquite before so have to check the map.

vangoes

Something good

Its great to hear some "good things" from 3055 owners. It appears that we only hear the disgruntled opinions and experiences and never hear the satisfied customers. I have recently taken delivery on an 3055 and have started regretting my decision only because of the negatives I read on this forum. Its great to read about the satisfied and happy owners! Thanks.

DennisZ

Hank
Glad to hear you made the trip in good shape... We're still lovin our unit. I need to make the trip to WalMart to get the theromstat upgrade. How did the coach do in the cold weather, did you stay warm and cozy and the pipes didn't freeze??

Again congrats on the new unit

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Vangoes

Don't worry too much about the "negitives" that you read here. I believe they apply to a small percentage of the built units. Every manufacturerhas problems. It is just that the other brands do not have a fantastic forum onwer as we have in Jim.
We have and early model of the 3055rl and most of qc "problems" would not be noticed by most peole. It is just that when the salesman gave me a role of tape to mark naything I wanted fixed, I really went over the unit with a find tooth comb.
All is mostly repair now and just a couple of things left.
We love our unit and the new ones we have seen at the dealer are much better. The dealer cannot keep the 3055rl's on the lot.
Congrats on choosing a good 5th
Rand

Mels Musty Music

DennisZ
Yes I did stay warm on the trip and Yes - my water lines did freeze up!

Got up the day after my unscheduled stop in Miles City to find I had no water. Outside temp was 9 degrees. (Good thing I had filled the coffee maker the night before.) I could hear the pump run when I turned it on but nothing at any of the faucets. I figured I had probably caused the problem as I had set my new thermostat to 55, closed the sliding door to the bedroom and set my little ceramic heater on the dresser. Heater kept the bedroom nice and warm but I realize now that I probably wasn't getting enough heat down to where the water pipes run when I set the furnace so low. Figured they would thaw out as I continued my travels. By mid afternoon it hadn't gotten above 15 degrees and the pipes were still froze so I turned on the gas and set the furnace to 70 and continued to head west. Made it to Missoula that evening and by then they had thawed out. Everything worked fine after that so I assume no damage was done. Been raining steady since I got home so haven't had a chance to check closer. I figure it was just another adventure in RV'ing.

vangoes
I was a member of the Montanas Owners Club (guess I still am) and believe me there are disatisfied people there too. As sailorand says every manufacturer has their problems and it all boils down how they back their products up. I was very impressed when I found out who Scott was and the fact that he is an active participant of this forum. What more can you ask for than that kind of involvement. I have had no contact with him but just knowing hes listening is reassuring.

Hank

OK Folks, We are prospective buyers of the BigHorn 3055 and new members of the forum. We truly love the floorplan and layout. Major question: Storage??? We were not satisfied with the appearance of the storage under the bed. Just how much is there? We are looking to store bulky items - blankets, bedding, towels and extra pillows in that area. The unit we looked at had a very flimsy plywood sheet covering the space underneath, which we assumed to be the storage area. Any space above that sheet would only give us 2 to 3 inch clearance from the bottom of the bed. Dealer rep was not clear about the space underneath the plywood. Is that reserved for the slide mechanism or is it actually storage space? We need that storage space with the slide in or out. All your comments will be greatly appreciated. Ship

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
hi Ship
There is not too much room under the bed. the plywood under there i9s very thin,1/8th" door skiinto cover up the slide mech. There is storage on the side of the under bed also. Just don't store so much. haha We don't fulltime so don't need that much storage room.
Rand

Uncle Rog

Howdy Mel,the door to our head was also not right, had to shim the strike plate out a little. I think you had a great opportunity to spend a couple of days for your PDI, good luck with the rig. Sounds like it faired well in the low temps......comgratulations.............

Mels Musty Music

Uncle Rog

Thanks for the advice. Will try to shim the strike plate on our door too. I assume it won't take too much to solve the problem.
You're right about having sufficient time for a PDI. But I have to tell you that I wish my wife had been with. She wasn't able to make the trip with me as she was somewhat immobilized by a recent foot operation. When I got home and she was able to see it she picked up on a few more details that I had totally missed. Oh well, I figure you can't win'em all.

ship&irish

I understand your concern about the lack of underbed storage. The 2006 model we first saw had a much deeper compartment under the bed. When I picked up our 2007 I was very surprised at how shallow it had become. My wife had to do some rethinking but she feels we can get by OK. Actually it worked out good for me as I can use it for seat cushions, life jackets, etc. It really is a good floorplan so I hope you can make it work too.

Hank