Water line blowing off of the pump

Jewels55

Hello fellow RVer's I have a Cyclone 4012 that we have been full timing in for over a year. Twice in the last month the water line at the pump has blown off and flooded the compartment underneath the bath and kitchen area. Both times this happened we were not using any water (just sitting). I made sure the fresh water tank was empty and left the cap loose so as not to build presure in it. I also have a pressure regulator with a max of 50psi and a water filter in line. We seldom use the pump only when traveling and consistantly use the city water. Any Ideas why the line would just blow off?

gpshemi

I have a pressure loss somewhere in my rig. I believe I'm lucky and it's actually the pump, but Heartland told me to pressurize the system to 25lbs over 20 minutes. 50psi sounds like alot for a trailer, but I'm not sure. I know these Shurflo pumps Heartland is using sure do get lousy reviews.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a pressure loss somewhere in my rig. I believe I'm lucky and it's actually the pump, but Heartland told me to pressurize the system to 25lbs over 20 minutes. 50psi sounds like alot for a trailer, but I'm not sure. I know these Shurflo pumps Heartland is using sure do get lousy reviews.
To my knowledge, most, if not all manufacturers, use Shurflo pumps. I use a watts regulator and we allow 55 psi into our system and haven't had any issues so far. I agree the Shurflo pumps have had their share of issues though. We replace our original pump within the first few weeks with the basic 2.8 GPM pump and have had no further issues.
Regarding the OP's problem. Which end of the pump is the line coming off of? Is the threaded connection coming off or is the 1/2" hose coming off of the threaded fitting? Something must not be attached either tight enough or incorrectly.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey Jewels, is Liz still running the office at Padre Palms? Tell her Lin & Ray said Hi. We stayed at Colonia del Rey for 3 years and I worked in the park with her hubby, Carl, for a year.

Jewels55

Regarding the OP's problem. Which end of the pump is the line coming off of? Is the threaded connection coming off or is the 1/2" hose coming off of the threaded fitting? Something must not be attached either tight enough or incorrectly.[/QUOTE]

The line going into the pump is the inlet (city pressure side). It is a threaded nipple into the line then it slides into the pump itself and has a cheap plastic clip that holds it in place. I have removed the nipple for now and capped off the line. In essence I now have no pump. I think it is just the cheap plastic they use to connect into the pump.
I talked to my dealer about it and he said I would be better off replacing it with a more basic unit that has all threaded connections, it just seems that for a high dollar pump it sure is built junky.

Jewels55

I have been using a 50 psi regulator for over a year with no problems. The plumbing seems to not be an issue with these trailers. It is usually the ShurFlo pumps or check valve issue. My pump has been a source of problems for me.