Newbi needs some help

1utahjim

I bought a 2008 Sundance 2900 RK from a car lot in Odgen, Utah. The lot people had no idea of the systems on the 5er. Stupid me says I can make it work. Tried the gas hot water heater and it fired right up. However, no hot water. The 5er had been winterized, and now I can't figure out the valves to get hot water to the faucets. Can anyone give this dummy a hand, thanks, Jim
PS some times a very good deal can bite you in the butt

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, I doubt that it's anything serious. I don't know the particulars for your rig but I do know the basics. There are two lines, probably 1/2" pex, coming from the top and bottom of the rear of the hot water heater. There is also a pex line running in-between these two lines. This is the bypass. The valves on these lines for normal use should be as follows. Lines from top and bottom should be open and the line that goes in-between should be closed.
For winterizing, they are reversed so that the water heater can be bypassed and drained. Winter anti-freeze will then flow past the water heater.
Remember to have water in the hot water heater when trying to heat the water.

1utahjim

I bought a 2008 Sundance 2900 RK from a car lot in Odgen, Utah. The lot people had no idea of the systems on the 5er. Stupid me says I can make it work. Tried the gas hot water heater and it fired right up. However, no hot water. The 5er had been winterized, and now I can't figure out the valves to get hot water to the faucets. Can anyone give this dummy a hand, thanks, Jim
PS some times a very good deal can bite you in the butt
Thanks ray I'll give that a try. Jim

jimtoo

Hi utahjim,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Sundance and make lots of great memories with it. If you need help or have questions, just ask. We are here for you.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

MC9

Seems like a waste of propane. Unlike electric a few seconds shouldn't destroy the heater.

mlburst1

Jim,

To access the back of the hot water heater, open the entertainment cabinet and remove the access panel at the base of the cabinet - two square drive screws.

The by-pass valves for the hot and cold water need to be opened so that the tank can fill - they are located where the line connects to the tank.

Additionally, there is a third valve between the hot and cold lines - close that valve.

Mike