UDC hose access hole

traveler44

I replaced the big plug in the bottom of the udc compartment with a small thin nylon cutting board from walmart. I cut a hole in the center of it and ran a four foot city water hose through it and epoxied around the hose to keep crawling critters out. To keep the hose from just hanging down under the trailer I took a conduit strap and fastened the hose up under the bottom with the end facing backwards to help keep it clean. I found that with the bottom of the udc center closed up like this that any dripped water would accumulate so I drilled a couple of 1/4" holes to drain. This has worked very well for me because city water is the only thing that I have needed constant access to. When I need to flush tanks I can still open the big door. I plan to add a cable tv access on the outside too. Tom M.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What I have done is instead of the semi-permanent mount you did I bought (but you could easily make) a syro-foam disc which fits the hole. The disc has a hole in the middle for the hose to go through. I can easily install and remove the connection when traveling. When traveling I screw on the plastic cover which keeps out debris, bugs and animals. Also I drain the water hoses and connect the ends together.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought a 2" thick piece of soft foam (a remnant piece). I cut a disc from it and put a slit to the center of it. My hose from the filter box to the manifold fits in there and the foam closes around it. The disc was cut slightly oversize, so it fits snugly in the opening. No cooties in my UDC and no drips, either. I keep a small towel handy when making connections and wipe up any drips. It's the green thing at the bottom of the UDC. The remnant was large enough that I could make maybe three inserts from it.

View attachment 9108

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We have had a few issues with some quick connect fittings that seem to leak and fill the compartment with water, so we made a drain hole in the corner of the UDC. As the floor is wood under the white stuff, and the big round hole didn't seem to be sealed too well, we were a little concerned about water seeping into the wood. Besides, the round hole edge is raised, so water needs to be quite deep before it drains over.
Used a barbed connector fitting for drip line (about 3/8" x 2"), drilled a hole slightly smaller and pushed it in. Then used some silicone and pushed a piece of clear 3/8" hose inside and level with the floor of the UDC. Left it hanging down a few inches to clear the water away from the wood floor under the UDC. It seems to do the job for directing water away.
Tip: measure and drill from the underside to clear the frame.

sdagro

Hi John,
Just checked out your manifold you made for the UDC. Very nice. What type of hose did you use. Would be nice to make this mod as I get tired of switching hoses all the time and am not that crazy about or confident with Kwik-Connects. Correct me if I'm wrong.. you have 3 valves, 1 to city water hook-up, 2 to flush out and 3 to a short spray hose? Thanks in advance for your reply.

ihsolutions

To the OP and everyone except John, this thread would be so much more useful with pics. It's hard to visualize and much easier to replicate when we can see exactly what you've all done.

I agree the giant hole in the UDC is something that can be improved on, and drainage is an issue as well. As of yet, I haven't tackled a workaround.

JohnDar

Hi John,
Just checked out your manifold you made for the UDC. Very nice. What type of hose did you use. Would be nice to make this mod as I get tired of switching hoses all the time and am not that crazy about or confident with Kwik-Connects. Correct me if I'm wrong.. you have 3 valves, 1 to city water hook-up, 2 to flush out and 3 to a short spray hose? Thanks in advance for your reply.

You are correct on the hose arrangement. With my "utility" hose, I don't have to bother with the weak shower hose in there. The hose was a short white drinking water line that I cut and installed threaded fittings on.

As for the gasket, I made one for my neighbor from my left over piece when we were working on his water heater. He hasn't posted the fix, but it turns out the small on/off switch (stuck in the on position) must have corroded over time to produce resistance that essentially shut the AC to the heater. So maybe something else to add to the set-up/take-down checklist is to physically work that switch to keep it functioning properly.

sdagro

Hi John. Been having all the fittings to make my manifold on my desk and finally got around to completing it this past Sunday afternoon. Thanks for the great idea. Steve A. Dagro

JohnDar

Hi John. Been having all the fittings to make my manifold on my desk and finally got around to completing it this past Sunday afternoon. Thanks for the great idea. Steve A. Dagro

You're more than welcome, Steve. But, to be honest, I got the idea from somebody else on this forum. If I could remember who it was, I'd give them the credit.

sdagro

Hi John,

I used a hose that i had from my old camper. NOT a neverkink(which I have doubts about anyway)After I cut 2 pieces for the city water and the flush line, I used the remaining length for my spray hose. DW was impressed except for the spray hose. She said it was too long and made a messy look after looping and cramming it into the UDC. May end up redoing with better hose and use about 6ft or so for the sprayer hose. Thought about using PEX but our Lowe's sucks as far as these type of supplies go and after thinking it out figured it would be a lot longer and bulkier set-up. Whomever came up with the idea a big than you. Steve A. Dagro

JohnDar

Hi John,

I used a hose that i had from my old camper. NOT a neverkink(which I have doubts about anyway)After I cut 2 pieces for the city water and the flush line, I used the remaining length for my spray hose. DW was impressed except for the spray hose. She said it was too long and made a messy look after looping and cramming it into the UDC. May end up redoing with better hose and use about 6ft or so for the sprayer hose. Thought about using PEX but our Lowe's sucks as far as these type of supplies go and after thinking it out figured it would be a lot longer and bulkier set-up. Whomever came up with the idea a big than you. Steve A. Dagro

On my BH, the UDC is part of the man-cave (basement areas), and the wife has no say about it. Not unless she wants to take over the position of Chief Maintenance and Sewage Disposal Engineer. She holds sway over the interior accoutrements, however, and I have to grovel at her feet if I hang a towel in the wrong spot.

sdagro

On my BH, the UDC is part of the man-cave (basement areas), and the wife has no say about it. Not unless she wants to take over the position of Chief Maintenance and Sewage Disposal Engineer. She holds sway over the interior accoutrements, however, and I have to grovel at her feet if I hang a towel in the wrong spot.

MAN!!! I couldn't have said it better. So, so right you are. However, after she brought it to my attention, as much as I hate to say---SHE WAS RIGHT!

JohnDar

Careful, Steve. If you repeat what I said too loudly, you better make sure to leave room in the basement for your sleeping bag.