Plexiglas on Screen Door

Deb

Deb
We were inspired to install Plexiglas on the outside of our screen door, after seeing Gary's installation at the East Coast Heartland Rally this past weekend.

We measured the door - went to Lowes to buy the plexiglas, and it was a 1/2 inch too big on two sides. We had two sets of measurements - one for the inside and one for the outside of the door.

What we thought was a mistake turned out to be a blessing. We discovered on closer examination of the door that there is a little 1/4 inch deep groove on the outside of the door, and that our plexiglas fit perfectly in the groove. So we were able to slide the plexiglas into the grooves - screw a couple of screws into the bottom to keep it in place. Looks neat and works well. Just thought you might like to know.

Deb

Deb

Deb
I'll take some tomorrow. Sure wish you could have stayed for the Rally. We will be having another one next year at Willow Tree. So keep it in mind.

Deb

Deb

Deb
Attached are the pictures of our plexiglas screen door fix. Hope this helps.

Picture #1 shows the groove in the screen door before installation of the plexiglas.
Picture #2 shows the bottom panel which has a total of four screws (two on top and two on the bottom to hold panel in place.
Picture #3 shows the top panel installed with two of the three screws showing.
Picture #4 shows the top panel after the plexiglas was installed in the grooves.
Picture #5 shows a close up of the groove with the plexiglas installed.

One more edit - we used 1/8" plexiglas.

Deb

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
The plexiglass idea is a great idea. We have installed plexiglass in the other campers we have owned. It allows you to see who is at you door before you open it, and to let some of the outside light come in.But be careful of what you clean the plexiglass with. We have scratched and dulled it on one of our previous campers by using the wrong cleaner. Our plexiglass man says to only use soap and water, not window cleaner.I think you will greatly enjoy being able to see outside through the plexiglass without letting the outside in through the screened door.

K

Ken Washington

Deb,
Great looking door! I did mine and really enjoy seeing out without losing heat or air. Also our dog Andy likes it very much also!
Ken

HappyKayakers

Deb,
Looks like a nice job. Thanks for the pix. I'll probably have to try this since we're wintering in Amarillo (brrrrrrr). I already did some homemade insulation to plug the fantastic fan vents and the bathroom vent.