Frame Rust Part 2

jonesj2

IMG_0765.JPGIMG_0756.jpgIMG_0752.JPGIMG_0762.JPGIMG_0759.jpgIMG_0755.JPG

I am not bashing by no means, I am just wondering if I have to worry about this rust issue eating through the I beams and causing significant problems down the road especially around the suspension parts.

<O:p></O:p>
What would you all do with a situation like this and maybe Heartland will respond to rust issues that a lot of us are having.
<O:p></O:p>
My original post from 5-09 is in the link below.<O:p></O:p>

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/5731-Frame-Rust?highlight=jonesj2

Rmcgrath53

Mine looks the same as yours maybe a little worst. I bought a Quart of Por 15 and plan on coating it some time in the fall
Ron

tmcran

WOW! that is some rust...I just was under mine this morning checking on things and I have little or no rust. (dry West Texas climate ).Got mine on 2-09. I have been in some major rain over the last year or so . Was in the Nashville flood and still no visible signs of rust. I have not pulled the bottom cover off but perhaps I should inspect that. I would sure be doing some major rust removal and putting on some sort of rust preventer. Good luck.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Have you checked your tow vehicle for rust. I bet you have some there too. It is probably from the road 'salt' and other conditions where you live.

jonesj2

tmcran, you may want to pull the bottom if you can. That has been one of my biggest chores is removing the screws that hold up the cover, they are rusted too.

jmgratz, I live in NC and do not have rust on my tow vehicle. We do not pull the trailer in snowy or icey weather at it takes the state 3 days or more to get the roads clear when there is a major snow or ice.

jmgratz

tmcran, you may want to pull the bottom if you can. That has been one of my biggest chores is removing the screws that hold up the cover, they are rusted too.

jmgratz, I live in NC and do not have rust on my tow vehicle. We do not pull the trailer in snowy or icey weather at it takes the state 3 days or more to get the roads clear when there is a major snow or ice.

Just thought it would be worthwhile for you to check. Glad to hear there is none on the TV. There have been several posts about frame rust and it seems to me like the concensus was the RV was towed from Elkhart to where ever in the winter. There are paints you can get to paint the frame and not have to remove the rust prior to painting. Check with Lowes or Home Depot for it.

RollingHome

Jim, We camp near the ocean - A LOT ! All of our stuff, RV's, TV's, Bikes etc. rust worse then your chassis and we have to keep after it. I had my last TV Ziebarted. My last TT was really rusted and it was only 3 years old. Anyway, the easiest way I have found to solve or fight the rust is Rust Oleum rust coverter (black) in a spray can. This product coverts the iron oxide into a primered paintable surface. Looking at your frame it looks like all you will need to do is spray it on, right over the rust. If your have any loose rust wire brush or scrape just where needed prior to spraying. I think you caught it in time where you can have your entire chassis converted in one day. Wear a respirator and you may want to purchase a plastic handle/trigger for the sray cans to save your index finger. I found the converter is least expensive at Wallmart. I would get 10 cans and take back what you don't use. Also, you'll want to purchase a black finish coat (semi gloss) in spray cans at the same time. A friend of mine purchased a BH 3670RL in March 2010, took it to the beach and spent the first week repainting his entire chassis with a brush even before it rusted. He, like me, knew it would rust so he beat the rust.

jonesj2

Tom , thanks for the advice. I am currently scraping, sanding and brushing on the Rustoleum as you indicated in your post. I am more worried about the integrity of the chassis and welds.

RollingHome

Jim, I think if you get "ALL" the rust covered (including any hidden under the plastic bottom) you will stop further metal degradation. I really do think you caught it in time. Perhaps those folks who have had their bottoms down (I know, sounds obscene) can enlighten you (and me) if you really should go through the added work of dropping the bottom to get at more of the chassis. I would also hit the screw heads with the rustoleum so they don't get ugly and hard to remove later. It's really hot here in PA, so watch the heat factor too. I'm sure you guys are going through the same heat wave we are. By the way, my unit is brand new and I intend to do the same thing in the fall when it gets cooler. I also store my unit/s inside and they still rust.

tmcran

Well, my poor 5er is outside year round. I leave it at the ranch and use it almost daily. I'm surprised that there seems to be very little rust. I have been checking it regular due to all the rain we have been in. I'm definitely going to drop part of the under belly and see what it looks like. It seems strange that some frames are rusting and other aren't. My TV has no rust on it as well. I think the wax stuff GM puts on the frames help a lot.

jmgratz

That is a good reminder to those who use or store their RVs at or near a salt water area. To prevent rust it is necessary to wash and rinse frequently and maybe even get some sort of undercoating. Also following a beach campout rinse the salt from the RV that has settled on it from the salt in the air.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
the rust-oleum product that is a primer and paint all in one is "hammerite". works great & comes in several colors, wal-mart has it.

RollingHome

I do one more thing that I believe helps. I got this tip from our good Canadian neighbors. I have a sprinkler which sprays up. I drive over it and let it wash the under carriage of the TV and RV. I believe the fresh water helps dilute or maybe even rid my rigs of that awful salt laden sea mist. Maybe hokey, but seems to help... In reality, I would love to find a auto up spray car wash to do at least the dually in my area. So far, no luck, so the sprinkler is the best I can do. Just one more idea...

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We took delivery of our 2011 BC 3450TS in February...our rig looks the same already! I brushed off the rust primed and painted the frame in the bad areas and it looks like new. Not sure how long it will last though. Can't believe these things are "powder coated"

There is a product we use out here on the coast called Corrosion Block that works really well! Spray it on and it's a done deal!

Last edited:

RollingHome

OK SJH, give us right coasters more info, where do we get Corrision Block, how much $ and what is your experience or personnal opinion of this product. You didn't think we'd let you off that easy with just a blip did ya ?

jonesj2

Thanks everyone, I am working on it as the weather allows. It is really hot here during the day and evening hours, so I have suspended work until the temsp drop just a little.

I am with another poster here, I can't believe the frames are power coated and the coating comes off so easy. Looks like Lippert should review their coating methods.

aatauses

We also had the same issue with our BH delivered in Feb. During the walk through we had ALOT of discussion with the dealer to no avail and lippert said the unit was not prepared correctly at the dealer. After much frustration I decided to fix the issue myself. I purchased a rust inhibitor from Benjamin Moore along with Rustoleum. I removed each screw from the underside and replaced with either stainless (toward the rear) or painted new ones before I put them back in. I also replaced each of the bolts that hold the sides (go up from bottom of slides into the side panels). I then gently coated the threads of the slide adjustment bolts. And finally scrapped, brushed, the frame and painted it.
If you search for a thread from me you will see the pictures of our unit---very similar to yours
al

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
OK SJH, give us right coasters more info, where do we get Corrision Block, how much $ and what is your experience or personnal opinion of this product. You didn't think we'd let you off that easy with just a blip did ya ?
Tom, there is a link to Corrosion Block in SJH's post. Just click on the BLUE letters.