H/W Heater quit working on A/C

ROTCMAN

My Suburban Hot Water Heater (SW10DE) quit working on electric power. Heater works fine on propane. All switches are in the correct position and the breaker is not tripped. Do I need any special tools to change out the electric heating element?

jimtoo

Rotcman, You say the heater quit working on electric,,, has the heater been working on electric before??? If not make sure the little black switch on the water heater itself is turned on. If it has worked on electric before and you turned it on electric without any water, then it only takes a few seconds to burn out the element. If you do need to remove the element, just make sure everything is off and water is cool before removing the element. I think it takes a 1 1/16" socket to remove the element.

Let us know what happened.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looks like the element is located behind that black cover we were looking at on your rig just before you left. In the diagram, it looks threaded, but has a connector on the outboard end. Probably need a crescent wrench to get it out, or a deep set socket. Since it was working for you until today, it's a good guess that the element gave up the ghost (2005 BH3200RL). Looking at the manual for your W/H (.pdf attached), I don't see any fuses or breakers other than the main one. If you get the element and return before the 6th, I'll give you a hand with it.

John

Glad to see you "found" the forum.
http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...ban/SW10-12-16_DSI_Water_Heater_Surburban.pdf

You will need an electric heating element socket. You can find them at most hardware stores and at the large building center stores.

I have yet to add the images but here's an article in the Heartland Owners Wiki on changing one.

Willym

Before you go changing the element, check for continuity across the heater itself with a digital multi-meter. A very high resistance (many kiloOhms) will signify a bad element, a low resistance (around 10 Ohms) will signify a good element.

RollingHome

Listen to Bill M from Canada, he's right on. If it's bad try a 1 - 1/16" crows foot wrench with a 1/2 driver. That makes it easier. Smart money says ya fry'd your element somehow ! Oh well, fryied happens :)

ROTCMAN

Thanks, John. Must be you bugged Don into getting the internet running! We'll be back late Monday night (got a funeral to deal with Mon aft/eve). Ranch RV in Alanson is supposed to have a heating element in for me on Tuesday. Reading some different posts on the forum, I see the problem could be some other things, like the upper limit relay, or, get this, if you shut off the shower at the shower head and forget to turn off the faucets, the water will cycle through the system, faster than the water heater can reheat it. I did shower Tuesday evening, then Wednesday morning is when I discovered we had no hot water. I do use the shut off at the shower head when showering to save water while lathering up. I don't remember if I shut off the faucets or not. See ya Monday night or sometime Tuesday. Bill