Travel Update

morganm12

George
Ruth and I are here at the 1000 Trails Lynchburg, Va. preserve.
We were sitting on the bank of the lake fishing when I noticed a Landmark coming down the hill inside the preserve. What first caught my eye was that it had the same paint scheme as mine. Theirs was a Monticello, ours a GC.
Next stop for Ruth and me is TT Forest Lake preserve out of Winston-Salem, NC.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
morganm12,
Thousands Trails near Winston Salem, NC is near our home. We belong to a sister park to TT, Green Mountain Rv Resort, in Lenoir, NC. Lenoir NC is near Boone, NC and about an hour and 30 minutes or so from TT. Have a safe trip.

jimtoo

Hi Guys,
We are TT members also and live in South Texas. We are planning on being on the Eastern part of the U.S. next summer. How are the parks in your area? If you get down this way give us a shout.:D
Jim

trdeal

jimtoo, I have only camped at the TT near Winston Salem,NC one time and that was several years ago,but I do recall it as being a nice park. There is an area that large rigs would have a real problem getting into,so when you call be sure to them the size of your rig. As I said it has been years since I was there, but I remember that the area around the pool,office would be fine. We camp at Green Mountain RV Resort, in Lenoir NC, which has just been purchased by the company that owns TT. This is an older park, back up in a valley, with concrete slabs to park on, a wooden deck, and full hookup with 50amp service. A number of these sites back up to a creek. There are 2 pools,a small fishing lake,and some type of entertainment on the weekend,and a Church service on Sunday. This is an older park,like I said,but it is well kept. We really enjoy going there because it is fairly close to our home,it is quiet and plenty of shade trees.I assume that TT members can use it since we are owned by the same company,but the sale has only been complete a few months and I don't know all the details.If you make it out this way come see us.

jimtoo

Thanks for the info. We hope to be able to spend 6 weeks or so in the Eastern part of the states next summer. Will be making more definite plans in the next 2 or 3 months.
Thanks

morganm12

George
jimtoo
Ruth and I wintered in Texas last winter. We spent most of the time between Lake Conroe and Lake Tawakoni. We spent sometime at Camperland RV getting repairs to this GC. We set out to take in all the TT preserves east of the Miss. River. We have two TT's left and will do Peace River also. As TT only members we are allowed in three NACO parks and Peace River is one of them. We got Fox River which was sold by TT but had a 10 yr exemption for TT members and that 10 yrs expires Aug next yr. I have mixed feelings about all the eastern preserves. Most are a little smallish I think. I am glad we did the tour.

trdeal
Ruth and I should arrive at the Forest Lake preserve in late afternoon Tue. I hope they can handle 37'. I'm not sure if we will spend the 14 days we're booked for. Its getting cold up here.

trdeal

morganm12,
We have had a beautiful cool weekend here in N.C. The temp. has been in the 30's at night, and the upper 50's in the daytime. I think rain is expected on Monday but I am not sure about the rest of the week. We drove up around the Boone area yesterday. The leaves are beginning to change and are beautiful. If you are planning on doing some leaf watching and you would like a good all you can eat breakfast, there is a place near West Jefferson, NC, called Shatley Springs. This would probably be a couple of hours from TT. They also serve lunch and dinner, but I am a breakfast man myself. I have a friend who recently camped at the TT near Winston, and he says that the area around the office ,pool area should work well for our Mt.Rushmore. So I think you will be able to fit.When TT purchased Green Mountain, we were invited to come to TT for a weekend but we have not been able to make the trip as of yet. Have a safe trip and if we can help you while in this area just let me know.:D

morganm12

George
Ruth and I arrive at the 1000 Trails Forest Lake preserve southwest of Winston-Salem, N.C. We arrived in the afternoon Tue. 17, Oct in a steady rain.

PS
This preserve is pretty full. More so than normal for this time of year according to the staff. We consider ourselves lucky to get the spot we got. Satellite signal and cell signal are great (cingular).

Last edited:

trdeal

Hope you have a great stay while in the great state of NC. Sorry about the rain. Be careful.

morganm12

George
It has been awhile since I posted an update to my travels. I would like to let trdeal know that we enjoyed our stay at TT's Forest Lake preserve. Man, they do a great job with Halloween. I haven't ever seen anything so successful for the kids.
We have been in Fl for the month of November and have extended our stay here to try and see the night launch of the space shuttle on the 7th of Dec. We will leave on th 14th and go to Monroe, La. for a couple of days.

jpmorgan37

George, I sure hope you get to see a night launch. I was there through the Apollo project and there is nothing more spectacular than seeing those big rockets at night. One of our favorite viewing areas was at Port Canaveral, but get there early so you can get a good parking place.
John

trdeal

morganm12 said:
It has been awhile since I posted an update to my travels. I would like to let trdeal know that we enjoyed our stay at TT's Forest Lake preserve. Man, they do a great job with Halloween. I haven't ever seen anything so successful for the kids.
We have been in Fl for the month of November and have extended our stay here to try and see the night launch of the space shuttle on the 7th of Dec. We will leave on th 14th and go to Monroe, La. for a couple of days.
We are glad that your stay here in NC, at TT,was good. Be safe while you are in Fl. and have a safe trip home. Terry and Renee:D

morganm12

George
jpmorgan37 said:
George, I sure hope you get to see a night launch. I was there through the Apollo project and there is nothing more spectacular than seeing those big rockets at night. One of our favorite viewing areas was at Port Canaveral, but get there early so you can get a good parking place.
John

Ruth and I spent 6 weeks in Fl. and enjoyed every minute. We left Fl. Nov 18th and are currently sitting here at the Barksdale AFB FamCamp until Dec. 26 when its off to Thousand Tails at Lake Tawakani Tx for 14 days then on to Conroe, Tx. for some repairs to our GC. To John: You were absolutely right-on about that night launch.

For those who follow this thread I want to say that in my 64 years of life the summer of 2006 has been one of the most rewarding years of my life. Fulltime RVing made this summer possible. Ruth and I have reconnected with friends that we haven't seen in 35 to 40 years (old Air Force friends). A fitting end came when we were able to have one of our grandsons come to Fl. and watch the latest shuttle launch. When the launch was scrubbed on Dec. 7th and the probabilties for the 9th at 30% we were all very depressed as the grandson was booked to fly back to Ca. at 6:55 AM on the 10th so when those engines ignited on that launch pad we all had a burst of enthusiasm. That was a very spectacular end to our stay in Fl. and is highly recommended.

jpmorgan37

George and Ruth:
I was wondering if you stayed long enough to see it. I'm so glad that you did. I'll tell you, after working there through the Apollo project, it still brings tears to my eyes when I see the sky light up from those rockets. Talk about pillars of fire, you've seen them first hand.
John

C

Chulinw

When the Apollo project was I was in the Navy and was on a Fleet going tug and ws always assign as part of the recovery if a launch had to go bad. I saw a few when we shere in the Atlantic ocean just going around in circules until it got up and out of sight. I want to watch a night launch of the shuttle next and miss the last one. The next one I will be park along the coast some place.

morganm12

George
Ruth and I checked several places around the Kennedy Space Center and there were many good spots to watch a launch. Our first site was on the grounds of the Astronaut Museum the night it scrubbed. We went back there for the next launch attempt and was told that they were going to close and we would need to go watch from another location and suggested Titusville which just a very few miles up the road. There is a small city park just on the south edge of Titusville that privided a very clear and awsome view of the launch site and was probably better than the museum. The Port Canaveral location was ok also but the distance was a factor in our choice.

morganm12

George
Ruth and I have finally landed back at Camperland Dealership in Conroe, Tx. After our 6 weeks in Fl. we made our way to Monroe, La. for a few days meeting our greatgrandson then on to Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, La. where we got some drugs and on to Lake Tawakoni, Tx. for 14 days. For all of our travels as I have chronicled here I must say there have not been very many Heartland product sightings. The last one we saw was in Va. and it was a Landmark parked in the same Thousand Trails preserve where we were, Lynchburg I think. I haven't seen any on the road.

kathcon

Heartland sightings

We were at Fort Wildness at Disnsy World back in Dec. There was a Bighorn in the loop next to us and a Landmark a couple of loops down from us. On the way back home we seen 3 Bighorns and 1 Landmark headed South on I-75.

Kathcon

morganm12

George
Kathcon, we left the Thousand Trails preserve located on U.S. hwy 27 two miles north of U.S. 192 and south of Clermont, Fl. on Dec. 12, 06. We traveled north on I-75 to I-10 and east to Mobile where we headed north to Jackson where we got on I-20 to Shreveport. Didn't see one heartland product on the road and still haven't and we are currently in Conroe, Tx.

J

Jim_1899

I am at home in St Charles Missouri waiting for Spring or a warm weekend to go camping. Its been cold and I have cabin fever to get out.

This is my 100 post!